Part of pain awareness is helping people know where to get help. At Spine-health, one of the main benefits we provide to the vast amount of people dealing with chronic pain is a forum community where they can find people to help them.
In This Article:
- September is Pain Awareness Month
- Pain Awareness Month Part II: People Helping People
- Pain Awareness Month Part III: Get Informed
- Pain Awareness Month Part IV - Continuing Awareness
The Spine-health Message Boards give people with chronic pain a place to go to find:
- Emotional support
- A place to share their situation and story
- A place to ask questions about conditions, treatments or for other valuable advice
- People who have researched similar topics and willingly share their findings and resources
With the number of active users on the forum every day who have dealt with back or neck pain, there are countless situations multiple members of the community have encountered and are willing to share their experience. Members of the community do not feel that they are alone in their process of dealing with chronic pain.
New members join daily to find answers or possible solutions for their chronic pain and many of these members stay in the community because:
- They are grateful from the help they received
- They enjoy helping others
- They feel they have unique experience with back or neck pain
- They want to help others avoid any mistakes that brought further pain or wasted time in their own treatment
This forum community is organized by:
- Types of Pain: Chronic Pain, Lower Back Pain, Neck Pain, Sciatica/Leg Pain, and Upper Back Pain
- Condition: Arthritis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoporosis, Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, and Other Conditions
- Treatment: Back and Neck Surgery, Surgery Recovery, Pain Management, Medications, Spinal Injections, Spinal Cord Stimulation, and Alternative Treatments
- Mind, Body and Spirit: Depression, Diet & Nutrition, Exercise & Rehab, Health Insurance, Sleep Problems, Stop Smoking, Body Maintenance, and Emotional Support
These categories allow new and long time users to find the right place to pose questions or other posts. There are also categories for casual conversation outside of health and medical topics.
Too many times a member says they are grateful for the help they have received, in fact the word "thanks" shows up on over 1,000 pages in the forum, but here are a couple of messages that have been posted:
- "What a wonderful place here!! So much light, support and so many members reaching out there hands to help so many with their difficult times. So healing in many ways!" – CindySue
- "Thanks to cath,liz and ben and few others. Your concern and msgs meant the world to me, and you so right i need this forum and the nice ppl i have met..." – watergirl
- "Thank-you for this great web-site. I have found so much information and practical help, not to mention the support in what feels an isolating issue." – winkie
While we are extremely proud that we can provide a place for people to find information, support, and sometimes friendship, it is the community itself which deserves all the praise, answering questions and interacting at all hours of the day and night. The moderators of the forum are also amazing and deserve their own recognition.
You may know somebody who could use support for a topic covered by this forum or you may be in the position to share your experience or knowledge with people dealing with pain. Pain Awareness Month should bring more focus and opportunities to better help people in pain and this forum provides some of those opportunities.