Meet David O. Okonkwo
David O. Okonkwo, MD, PhD, is Professor and Executive Vice Chair of Neurosurgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC). Dr. Okonkwo specializes in the treatment of scoliosis and other spinal deformities and experimental therapies for spinal cord injuries.
Dr. Okonkwo completed his undergraduate work at the University of Virginia, he received his medical and doctoral degrees at Virginia Commonwealth University. He joined the University of Pittsburgh in 2006 following completion of neurosurgical residency at the University of Virginia and a fellowship at Auckland Public Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand.
Dr. Okonkwo has published more than 130 papers and gives lectures around the world to advance innovations in the minimally-invasive treatment of spinal deformity.
Dr. Okonkwo is a neurosurgeon with UPMC Department of Neurosurgery.
Directions to our primary location in
How David O. Okonkwo Can Help You
- Adult Scoliosis
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Spinal Deformity
- Spinal Trauma
- Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion (XLIF)
- Hydrocephalus Shunts
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
Accolades for David O. Okonkwo
- Professor and Executive Vice Chair, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)
- Fellowship Trained, Auckland City Hospital
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons (Associate Member)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- International Neurotrauma Society
- National Neurotrauma Society
Office Information for David O. Okonkwo
UPMC Presbyterian200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Profile last updated: August 31, 2016. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.