Meet Dr. Dean Chou
Dr. Chou completed his residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital, and then undertook a fellowship in spinal surgery at Barrow Neurological Institute. He specializes in complex spinal surgery.
He is an expert in the treatment of spinal tumors, both metastatic and primary. He sits as a charter member of the Spinal Oncology Study Group, an international consortium of experts in the field of studying spianl tumors, and he specializes in en bloc surgery and sacral resections for primary tumors, such as chordama. He has a particular interest in the oncologic approach to spinal tumors.
For non-neoplastic conditions, Dr. Chou specializes in the treatment of spinal deformities, including scoliosis, kyphosis, flatback syndrome, and failed fusions. For degenerative conditions of the spine, he performs minimally invasive and thoracoscopic procedures. He has served as a chairman of spine surgery courses, and he also has taught courses at national and international meetings throughout the country.
Dr. Chou is a neurosurgeon with UCSF Spine Center.
Directions to our primary location in
How Dr. Dean Chou Can Help You
- Cervical Spine Disorders
- Degenerative Spinal Conditions
- Lumbar Spine Disorders
- Scoliosis and Deformity
- Thoracic spine disorders
- Lower Back Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Neck Surgery
- Scoliosis Surgery
- Spinal Fusion
- Upper Back Surgery
Accolades for Dr. Dean Chou
- 1993: American Federation for Clinical Research Award for Excellence in Research
- 1994: Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Training Fellowship
- 1995: Lucien J. Rubinstein Award for "Best Paper in Neuro-Oncology," American Association of Neuropathologists Annual Meeting
- 2000: AANS Neurosurgery Research and Education Foundation (NREF) Grant
- 2007: Who’s Who in American Teacher’s and Educators
- 2007: Who’s Who in Science and Engineering
- 2007: Harold Rosegay Neurosurgery Resident Teaching Award, UCSF
- 2003-2004: Spine Fellow, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- AANS/CNS Section on Disorders of Spine and Peripheral Nerves
- North American Spine Society
- Board certified, Neurosurgery
Office Information for Dr. Dean Chou
Profile last updated: August 31, 2016. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.