Meet Dr. Sigurd H. Berven
Dr. Sigurd H. Berven has a strong clinical interest in spinal disorders of children and adults. He is interested in pediatric and adult deformity, degenerative conditions of the spine, spinal tumors and spinal trauma. His research interests include assessment of clinical outcomes of surgery, and minimally invasive techniques in spine surgery.
Berven also is studying cellular and molecular techniques for the biological regeneration of components of the spine including the intervertebral disc. Berven has been an invited speaker at national and international conferences, speaking on topics including measurement of outcomes in spine surgery, evaluation and management of spinal disorders, and advanced techniques in spine surgery.
He is a graduate of the Harvard Combined Orthopedic Residency. After completing his residency, he had further clinical training in Spine Surgery as a clinical fellow at UCSF and in pediatric orthopedic surgery as the chief resident at Boston Children's Hospital. Berven studied human biology as an undergraduate at Stanford University. He was a graduate student at Oxford University in philosophy, politics and economics. He received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Berven is an orthopedic surgeon with UCSF Spine Center.
Directions to our primary location in
How Dr. Sigurd H. Berven Can Help You
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Cervical Spine Disorders
- Degenerative Spinal Conditions
- Lumbar Spine Disorders
- Scoliosis and Deformity
- Thoracic spine disorders
- Lower Back Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Neck Surgery
- Scoliosis Surgery
- Spinal Fusion
- Upper Back Surgery
Accolades for Dr. Sigurd H. Berven
- 2000-Present: Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- 1999: Chief Resident, Orthopaedic Surgery, Children's Hospital, Boston, MA
- Fellowship, Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
- UCSF Orthopaedic Surgery: Compassionate Physician Award - 2007
- Spine Arthroplasty Society: Best Paper Award - 2005
- ABC Travelling Fellow: AOA - 2005
- Harvard Orthopaedic Program Outcomes Research Award -1999
- Moseley Research Fellowship for Research in Basic Science - 1996
- Cave Research Fellowship - 1996
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- British Orthopaedic Research Society
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- National Scoliosis Foundation
- North American Spine Society
- Scoliosis Research Society
- International Society for Surgery of the Lumbar Spine
- Board certified, Orthopaedic Surgery
Office Information for Dr. Sigurd H. Berven
Profile last updated: August 31, 2016. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.