Learn About SonoSpine
SonoSpine® is a Minimally Invasive Spine Center located in Charlottesville, serving Virginia and the Metro DC area that takes spinal surgery into the future with advanced surgical ultrasound. Ultrasound offers less disruption to the spine, faster pain resolution, and fewer complications than other surgical approaches. With 1mm precision, impinged nerves are safely released 100% of the time compared to a 30-70% decompression typical of other approaches. This accuracy allows SonoSpine surgeons to preserve the stability of the spine and avoid spinal fusions.
Designed to care for patients both within and outside our immediate area, SonoSpine provides a personalized assessment of your condition by phone at a mutually convenient time. A plan of care is created and the clinical team works with your local providers for pre-surgical testing and assessment. If surgical intervention is indicated, SonoSpine provides assistance with travel arrangements and supports the patient and family both before and after surgery.
SonoSpine® Ultrasonic Spine Surgery at a Glance:
- Procedure is FDA approved and proven to have better patient outcomes in hundreds of cases
- Two thirds of SonoSpine® patients are completely pain free after just four weeks and 9 out of 10 of patients perceive their post-surgery results as excellent, while the national average resides at just 56 percent
- The procedure is quick and effective, usually completed in under 90 minutes and does not require an overnight stay in the hospital
- Full mobility is retained and the structural integrity the spine is maintained vs a traditional spinal fusion
- The ultrasonic tool offers 1mm accuracy, virtually eliminating complications like extensive blood loss and nerve damage
Directions to our primary location in
Meet the Physicians of SonoSpine
How SonoSpine Can Help You
Type of Practice
- Spine Center
- 3 Neurosurgeons
- Back Pain And Neck Pain
- Bone Spurs
- Cervical Spine Disorders
- Complex Spinal Disorders
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Degenerative Spine Conditions
- Facet Disease
- Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
- Foraminal Stenosis
- Herniated Disc / Bulging Disc
- Low Back Pain
- Lumbar Spine Disorders
- Neck Disorders
- Spinal Stenosis
- Anterior / Posterior Lumbar Fusion
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF)
- Spinal Fusion
- Spine Surgery
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF)
- Ultrasonic Spine Surgery
What Patients are Saying About SonoSpine
Just three weeks after the surgery, I was walking two miles three times a day. I have full mobility in my neck and don't fear the effects of hardware on my spine long term. SonoSpine gave me my life back.— Kathy
Highlights from SonoSpine
In the News
How to Overcome Your Fears About Spine Surgery
SonoSpine to Partner with Misonix, Inc.
SonoSpine® has one of the most rigorous certification programs in spine surgery. All surgeons must be board certified and complete extensive, specialized training. In addition to clinical certifications, all SonoSpine® employees undergo comprehensive professional training.
Dr. Ellegala was named "One of 38 surgeons Under 40 to Know" by Becker's Spine Review.
SonoSpine has filed numerous patents in the areas of ultrasonic surgical technology.
The University of Virginia Hospital is SonoSpine's partnering hospital of choice.
Office Information for SonoSpine
Profile last updated: October 17, 2016. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.