Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain Driving Me CRAZY!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
STORY:
One day while squatting, during mid-rep I felt a muscle in my mid-back on the left side right next to the spine clench really hard and it hurt so bad I had to drop the weight and lay down for a few minutes. I felt this weird burning sensation that seemed to go away after stretching for a bit, so I gave it another shot. The second I started to bring the weight down I got the same sensation, so I bailed on the weight, cleaned up and went home.

Doc said it was nothing... "Take these meds (naproxen sodium), take a few weeks off, you'll be fine." So I did... One month later I get under the bar for a warm-up set and BAM. Same thing happens...

SYMPTOMS:
- If I extend my neck and look down, I get a dull (abnormal/almost painful) stretching sensation in that area.
- That sharp/clenching pain followed by a dull burning sensation only seems to happen when I squat or do similar exercises.
- I feel some serious discomfort in my back anytime I'm inactive. I can feel it whenever I sit, stand, walk, or lay down for long periods of time.

TREATMENT:
Doctor - I went back and he said to go to a Sport's Doctor.
Sport's Doctor - Told to see a physiotherapist.
Physiotherapist - Gave me a bunch of exercises which I actually did, but I saw no changes in 4 months. Then he recommended checking out a chiropractor.
Chiropractor - Diagnosed me with scoliosis (20 degrees left) and told me that my mobility between T11 and T12 was restricted. I got treatment for 4 months and did the newly prescribed exercises. It's been 6 months and the Chiropractor says my scoliosis is basically fine, but I still have the same problem. Dull painful discomfort all the time. It gets extreme whenever I bend forward or twist.

It's been well over a year since the original incident, and this problem doesn't seem to go away. Some nights it's so uncomfortable that I have to medicate myself to sleep.

I posted on another forum and somebody suggested getting an MRI... Another guy responded with this: "I would suspect you strained one of your spinal erector muscles. Since it was not treated optimally, it healed back (as torn muscles do) with some scar tissue. If it is what I think it is, then you need to find an expert in soft-tissue treatment - ideally Active Release. That will help to 'clear out' the scar tissue and improve the strength and mobility of the affected muscle."

That sounds sweet, but free health care in Canada doesn't cover physio, chiro, or massage therapists and I don't have a health plan so this stuff is getting expensive (not that my back isn't worth it). I can't afford to fork out the dough on another failed attempt.

Does anybody recognize or have experience with these symptoms? Does it sound like an unhealed strain?

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated...
advertisement

Comments

• :) i see this is your first post. i wanted to welcome you to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you really need that mri to go any further. noone can tell you what is wrong inside without one. it might be wise to see a orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon. they can help you with your pain issues. a pain management doctor could help treat your symptoms. injections perhaps. it is always wise to get more than one opinion.i have no insurance and know the pinch of trying to get medical care without any money. ~X( good luck and stay at it. for every turn there may be a path. Jenny
  • yea i have this tipe of simptoms...unfortunetly :(