Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neurontin/Robaxin Mix

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Pain Medications
Anyone have any experience with this. Neuro says it is fine but just started Neurontin and it makes me very dizzy, numb and having a hard time concentrating. Robaxin does the same thing. Have been taking Robaxin just at night for some relief but did not do it last night because Neurontin made me feel so odd.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    Hi,
    I've taken both and doctors have no problems with that.
    In the past I've taken
    Lryica with Rhobaxin
    Now I am using
    Neurontin and Zanaflex

Zanaflex (at least to me) is a bit stronger and more effective than Rhobaxin. I've been using Neurontin for about 6 months now (400mg 4x day) and I am pretty adjusted to it. The zanalfex (4mg) can sort get me realllllll tired, so, I normally just take that at night.

Main thing
    1) Your doctor(s) understand what you are taking and approve
    2) Any questions, you can always ask your trained Pharmacist
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I glad your taken Zanaflex and Neurontin I was asking about it, if I could take both.

Zanaflex doesn't make me tired but wires me up so I get things done like cutting the grass yesterday. I also took an Neurontin along with it but wasn't for sure if I could I thought I would anyway with a half of Zanaflex incase it did do anything to me.

I'm on Zanaflex 4mg when I needed it anytime of the day and Neurontin is 300mg I just started it and I take it 3 times a day.
    With Zanaflex do you take two pills or a pill and half if you don't see a difference in your body? I take 1-2 pills at a time and don't have any problems but when I add the pain med boy I'm wired up for sure can't sleep stay awake all night and watch the clock tick by, like I did last night I was hurting so much in my back and I forgot I had taken the Zanaflex with the Neurontin but I got up and took only half of Ultram, then I laid their and laid their was wondering if I took Zana and Neuro before I had taken Ultram and yep I sure did because I stayed awake all night.

Has that ever happpened to you?
    Well got drs appts this morning see ya when I get back.
  • It is amazing how the same drug will act differently for different people. That is why it is so important to follow the prescribed amount and if you have any problems or concerns in how it is effecting you, to call your doctor or pharmacist right away.

For me, Robaxin is like taking a sugar pill. It's a waste of time and money and extended misery.

Like Ron and Doxie, I am taking Neurontin and Zanaflex (as well as other meds). I take 1600mg of Neurontin 3 times a day and 4mg of Zanaflex 4 times a day. The Zanaflex is being brought in to replace Baclofen which is now dropped to 10mg 4 times a day as the two drugs are switched out.

Thank goodness the Zanaflex doesn't wire me, or I'd be in trouble! I enjoy being able to get some sleep at night finally!

wpomrehn how long have you taken either of these drugs? Have you discussed this with your doctor yet? Next question, do either one of them help you at all?

"C"

PS Welcome to Spine Health
  • That's too funny. lol Zanaflex does wire me up so I try not to take it at night but trade it with flexeril 10mg then I maybe can get some sleep.

Happy days everyone!!
    Misty
  • The meds both alone and in combination are doing nothing for the pain and I discontinued both Monday. Back to the drawing board. See New dr. tomorrow and my original neurosurgeon on Monday. Am hoping for some new answers. We have determined that ther is no nerve damage at this point and are planning on looking at fusion but I will certainly ask about the drug combos you have mentioned. Anything at this point for a little relief and I would be happy with a nap if not a full nights sleep! Thanks for the welcome
  • Please let us know how it goes with the NS tomorrow!

I'll keep my fingers crossed you come home with a good plan.

"C"
  • :jawdrop: This is the mixture my GP prescribed & it ain't working..Daily....Neurontin (Gabapentin) 300mg x 8. Panadol 500mg x 8. Dihydrocodeine 100mg x 8. Have compressed nerves L5 with the usual pain, burning, numbness & a feeling of "handcuffs" around both ankles....What a life eh?
  • Hi Everyone

Went to neurologist today for first time. He is prescribing Neurontin. What should I watch for as I start this? He claims the first few days are rough and then should be fine. I sometimes wonder if docs ever try this stuff themselves - lol.
  • Hopefully your doc will have started you off on a low nightly dose to be increased gradually each day until you reach your own effective dose. He'll probably have started you on 100-300mg at night the first day, then double that the second day, and so on.

My old doc just put me on 400mg three times a day, without explaining anything at all! I felt awful, and it was ages before I dared try the stuff again. It can be helpful for neuropathic pain, but some people find it makes them really dopey. It effects people differently - some people just get some transient drowsiness, others get nightmares, depression, and so on (my mother had these side effects and never took it again). Personally, I'm still not sure whether to continue with it, as it makes me feel groggy and clumsy. It does seem to have some effect on nerve-related pain, though.
  • I've been taking Tramadol at nighttime, but am switching to Neurontin. Both medications make me sleepy, so I don't want to take them during the day. What can I take in daytime? Since I'm staying in today, I took a Neurontin this morning around 7:00. it's noon, and I still feel dopey. I'm going to ask the doctor about Zanaflex.
  • I'm curious about the neurontin you're taking. It's my understanding that it's not a take as needed drug. You have to titrate up to a therapeutic dose before any real significant help can be determined. As you ramp up, side effects will come and go until your body has had the opportunity to adjust to it. I tried neurontin a couple of years ago and although in the end I was unable to take it, the tired sleepy side effects went away after a couple of weeks. How has your doctor prescribed this drug to you and what does he/she think?

Dave
  • Be careful about going to Zanaflex if you want to avoid drowsiness. It can make you very sleepy. It doesn't always do that to me, but it certainly can and I only take 4 mg (it can be prescribed at double that amount, I think).
advertisement