Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Osteoarthritis too and have questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
I'm new to this forum and have some questions.

First, a little brief history, I've recently had ACDF, two levels on my neck 7 weeks ago.

About three weeks ago, my thumbs started doing what I've found on the internet, I think, called "trigger thumb." Is that the start of OA? My right thumb is the worst, I'm sure because I'm right handed, but the pain is awful. I've now been just avoiding using my thumb in ways that'll trigger my thumb to sort of pop out of joint, then pop right back in. It feels like it's on fire every time it does it. And of course it's doing the routine things, opening a doorknob, unbuckling a seat belt, putting my hair in a ponytail. Man, I feel like I'm falling apart suddenly!

Can my new problem with my thumbs be in any way related to my cervical problems that just were worked on? I have my eight-week follow-up next Tuesday with my NS and plan on talking to him about it but I really need some relief. Ibuprofen doesn't seem to do much at all and of course the Flexeril I'm still taking for my neck don't affect the new pain.

Any suggestions/advice would help, as I don't have a clue what's really going on.

Thank you in advance.

Monique :*
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear you are having so much hand pain. I can relate to your pain, although yours sounds slightly different from what I get. My fingers swell and my knuckle joints are enlarged (permently.) I guess you could be getting OA in just your thumb. I am not familiar with "trigger thumb." Is it an inflamation or tendonitis type thing? Have you tried any other anti-inflamatories besides ibuprofen? Or are you limited with meds because of your fusion surgery?

There are 2 other posts about hand pain/hand OA on this forum where i talked about all the self-help stuff I do for my hands. I get pretty chatty and my posts tend to get too long, so I won't repeat it all. But you can check those out. You sound like you would get some relief from the thumb brace (stabilizer.) It keeps your thumb from bending and also supports the wrist. And Pt would probably help a lot.

I hope you get some relief from this, I know it can be miserable. Also you sure don't need anything else to recover from on top of neck surgery. So good luck to you. Also keep me posted as to what your dr says,and how you make out. OK?

Hugs, Marti
  • Marti, thanks for the reply. I had seen those types of braces and wondered if that would help. In my line of work, I'm on a computer keyboard quite a bit, so I know that doesn't help either. I'm learning though what things actually do trigger the pain and am learning to not do those things. It's so helpful to read about others' experiences on here.

I'll let you know what happens. I'll see my doc on Tuesday and hopefully get some good advice from him.

Monique
  • Sorry to hear your having pain in your thumbs,please let us know what the surgeon said..take care