Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discogram

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Management
Has anyone had a cervical spine discogram?  One neurosurgeon wants me to have it done yet another NS says it's not necessary because my MRIs and CT scans show which discs are damaged.  The doctor who wants me to go for it explained that it is the only way to make sure that my pain is coming from the discs and not other problems (bone spurs, stenosis).  Who do I listen to?  I'm really scared to have it done as they explained to me that it is very, very painful.
advertisement

Comments

• This is my opinion only but I would definitely have it done. So many things can show up on MRIs and xrays that are problems in your spine but all too often it is not what is causing the pain. I would want to know for sure that it is what is causing the pain before I went through major surgery and found that it was not the particular problem that was causing the pain and you went through all of that for nothing.
  • I had one done in early May of this year...I can't lie, it was very, very painful when I woke up BUT they gave me plenty of meds to make me comfortable afterwards...I don't remember the actual procedure itself, but when I woke up, WOW!

In spite of that, I'm glad I had it done! I'd been screaming my head off for 3 years that something was wrong and I hurt all of the time and that test was the one that confirmed it. Please don't think I'm trying to scare you, I was terrified before I had mine done, but they WILL make you comfortable afterwards...If you have ANY questions, please feel free to PM me, I'll be happy to answer! I'd definitely have it done, it's the best way they can determine what areas need to be done...
  • The actual proceedure was not a bad as I thought it would be. They put me out, then woke me up and put me in extreme pain for about 5 to 10 seconds and then gave me enough pain meds that I wanted to get coffee in the lobby as we left, my wife said no so I got juice.

It has been about 2 weeks and my back has not quite settled down and I have been on elevated pain meds, but its getting back to normal. I do know that my specific pain has been narrowed down to L3 L4 and now it's just my consultation with my spine surgen. Up until my Discogam the doctors were not sure exactly was causing my pain, now they know and I feel that my demand for help is more justified.

If I get surgery, we will know that the right disk is being operated on. Even with the pain I would do it all over again.