Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to forum and would like input about MRI

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
Hi I am new to the forum although I have been doing alot of reading. I started having back problems in Dec 07 when I hurt my back at work tranferring a client. I have since been doing physio and trying different meds to cope with the pain. I will post more in the forum. Glad to have found this site. I have seen a neurosurgeon twice..once for the original injury and then was called back in regarding my second MRI which showed more detail about some cysts I have. Here is some info from my MRI's

Results of first MRI
- Facet joint osteoarthritis from L3-L4 to L5-S1 bilaterally
- At L5-S1 there is loss of intervertebral disc height and desiccation of the disc. There is a disc extrusion into the right neural foramen and this is in direct contact with the exiting nerve root. There is generalized bulging of the L5-S1 disc as well.
- There is a cystic lesion seen in association with the right S1 nerve root in keeping with a perineural cyst. It measures 1.1 X 1.6 cm. There is another lesion which measures 1 X 1.8 cm within the left neural foramen at L1-L2. It extends posterior to the conus. There is discontinuity of the ligamentum flavum at this level. Lsion demonstrates low signal intensity on T1 and high signal intensity on T2
- Impression: L5-S1 DDD with a foraminal disc extrusion which is in direct contact with the exiting right L5 nerve root
- Cystic lesion in the left neural foramen extending into the spinal canal at L1-L2 query perineural cyst…….

Was called back in for MRI with contrast because of cysts and these were the results

There is a dumbbell shaped lesion of fluid signal intensity in the extradural space at L1-L2. It is located along the left lateral and posterior aspect of the spinal canal and conforms to the shape of the canal measuring 2.3 cm tranverse X 2.3 cm craniocaudal X 1.0 cm anteroposterior. It extends towards the proximal aspect of the left neural foramen but not into the neural foramen. It is not clearly associated with the nerve root. There is no enhancement following the administration of IV gadolinium.

This lesion does cause some mild mass effect on the conus medullaris and nerve roots forming the cauda equine, although overall there is no significant central stenosis. There is potential for some encroachment of the left L1 nerve root in the proximal foramen.

At T9-T10 there is a right paracentral disc protrusion mildly deforming the right anterior thecal sac and right anterior cord, but without causing central stenosis.

The remainder of the exam was unchanged from the previos.

Opinion – Extradural simple cystic lesion in the left posterior canal L1-L2. This is most likely an arachnoid cyst. An epidermoid cyst could also be considered in the differential but would be rare.

When I first had my injury the pain was excrutiating. Didn't matter what I did..If i moved or tried rolling over in bed or anything it was feel like someone was stabbing me. Now the pain is different and I am wondering why the change. I seem to have constant "nagging". My right side seems to be worse but some days both are equally painful. It is hard to explain the pain really. It is weakness, burning, almost feels sometimes like my leg is heavy, not there, "thick". Like I said it is hard to describe. I have tried many different meds...naproxen, celebrex, tramadol, lyrica, hydromorph contin, with no results. I am now trying amitriptyline and it does not seem to be working either. I take endoct as needed but it does not take the pain away it really only makes me "stoned" and then I really don't care about the pain. I try and take it only at night because I have a four year old. I have been doing physio 3xweek since January and we are still only doing muscle stim with heat and the ultrasound. Therapist is concerned because we have tried starting a routine of exercises but the pain gets so bad that I can't do it. I know this is a long post and I apologize...but my husband is very unsupportive and is only concerned about when I can go back to work...He just doesn't seem to get that the pain doesn't go away...I do have good days but they are few and far between. I have an appointment scheduled with a physiatrist at the end of sept but I am concerned that with the pain being so constant that something has changed. I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone out there who can make any sense out of my MRI's. The NS that I saw had a terrible bedside manner...Didn't explain anything and said he would not operate. Told me to continue doing what I was doing. Family doc and physio were very surprised that he wasn't going to operatesince my recovery time would be minimal comapred to the length of time to heal naturally. I am at my wits end. Work is hasseling me to come back and doc refuses to let me. I am going stir crazy from being isolated with my four year old. I love him to death but it is hard when mommy cant play all the time...Help! :''(

advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have been told there is no surgical relief for my problems and am still trying to find conservative measures to help. why not get other opinions? if one surgeon has turned you down i would certainly check out another and another until i was satisfied that surgery was not feasible. if you are in such pain and your doctor does not see you working i would think that would be enough for your husband. just who does he think he is? reading the mri is better left to your doctor. he should explain that to you until you do understand! another reason to seek another opinion. good luck and i hope you find some pain relief soon! Jenny :)
  • I agree with the last persons comment I have a herniated disc in neck and back and real painful sciatica I can't even sit on my behind. I have degenerative disc disease along with fibromyalgia,arthritis, and more but the last a arachnoid cyst in my spinal canal. I am 38 years old so 1 out of the 2 neurosurgeons we have in the city I live said no he won't operate due to my age....Mame Don't settle with one opinion keep going I am.