Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Axialif - Looks Interesting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
FLORIDA -- Each year, 40-60% of American adults suffer from chronic back pain.

Now, a new surgery is offering relief to many people with less pain, rehabilitation, and anxiety.

Lorrie Henry is as dedicated to her dogs as they are to her, but this dedication led to a devastating accident.

"I had slipped on some water that the dogs spilled out of their bowl and my legs came up from under me and slammed down right on my back," said Lorrie.

Although a disc in Lorrie's spine had been flattening for some time, the fall did her in. She wasn't able to do a lot of things she normally did.

Traditional surgery to treat back pain involves a large incision, a 3-4 hour surgery, and a long, painful recovery.

But, Lorrie was a good candidate for a new procedure called Axialif, which involves a less than 1 inch incision, less time under the knife, and a shorter, less painful recovery.

"They can get up and get moving much quicker in the hospital and they leave the hospital quicker," said Dr. Stephen Goll.

After doctors make a small incision at the base of the spine, the old, flattened disc is cleaned out. Then, that space is filled with bone from the patient or bone growth material.

The area is stabilized with a bolt and two screws. In Lorrie's case, relief was immediate.

"I woke up in my hospital room and it was amazing. I knew that I did not have the pain that I went in with," said Lorrie.

After only two weeks with a walker, Lorrie was back in the spin of things.

The FDA has cleared Axialif to treat certain vertebrae, which means half of all patients seeking lumbar spine fusions are now candidates for the less invasive procedure.

advertisement

Comments