Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

four weeks post-op.......

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'll recap for the newer folks.

I had a 2 level "fusion" using Dynesys stabilization. At the Sl/L5 level we didn't use any bone for fusion at this level but we did use my own bone for L4/L5 to treat grade 1-2 spondylolisthesis and stenosis. This took place on 7/10.

Yesterday was my 4 week mark and my biggest complaint is now BOREDOM. lol I am so happy and pleased with how well I am doing. I have almost stopped taking my pain meds. I get up anytime I want to and roam the house. I'm taking 1 or 2 good walks a day. I haven't measured but I'd have to say I'm probably walking about 3/4 a mile or so a day. On top of the house roaming. I do have some tightness in the area around my 5" incision site and sitting, particularly without my brace gets uncomfortable pretty quick. I have had a few episodes of leg pain that goes away upon laying down so I know there is more healing ahead of me. My big goals for now are to get a good report from my NS on Mon. It will be my birthday <:P so my birthday wish is to get to graduate to the smaller brace, lighter pain meds AND the biggie, which I'm not getting my hopes up for but ... I hope he will let me drive... lol That will likely be in another 2 weeks, but a girl can hope can't she? :P
Like I said overall the worst part is being down, bored and isolated. I have left the house a couple of times and that was nice. My stamina was lacking but it improves each time.
I found myself getting a little depressed and thew myself a pity party for a couple of days. It was my daughter who got me out of my funk when she innocently said "wow mom look how much better you are doing! It is so good to see you feeling better!" That was a huge boost. So hang in there if you are post-op, it will get better. I have to agree it is a weekly notice of improvement, not daily. I hope everyone is doing well and "beating" this back deal. I will let you know what the NS says on Mon.

hugs to all and prayers for good health and speedy recoveries for all!!

Kelly Jo
advertisement

Comments

• Kelly Jo,

I hope you get your big birthday wish of being able to drive again on Monday! Sounds like you are doing great, relatively speaking! And yes, we can hope! How else could we deal with all this?? <:P
  • That's great to hear that you are healing and doing so well after surgery. Keep up the great work girl!

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • AWESOME!!!!!

I too am faced with incredible boredom! Not my ony complaint, but it's a biggie!

I too want to be released to drive this upcoming week - oh to have that freedom!

Let us know what happens, my 3 week post-hospital apt. is on Thursday, I'll update then too :)
  • Hi,

I was 4 weeks post op this past Friday for an ALIF L4/L5 with cages. I think I'm doing good too. I am starting to forget that I had surgery and it reminds me. My stomach incision is still draining just a tiny bit of clear fluid, just enough to have to wear a bandage...a bandaid isn't enough. It feels really hard under it which I guess is scar tissue. I got to drive at 3 weeks post op for short drives..like taking the kids to school and back or 15 mins. to Walmart. It's funny how much we take for granted. I can only buy bread or eggs that I can lift into the trunk. I guess I should be thankful that I can do that much though. I've talked with folks that were still on a walker at 4 weeks postop. My left leg was messed up after surgery and it's came around quite a bit. I still can't bend it up to cross my other knee, but my gait walking is straighter. I'm getting a grinding feeling in my left hip joint though. Hope that doesn't cause another problem with spurs or something. I have had 3 visits to the PT so far. The last one I was cursing and crying on the way home. They had me doing so much I was hurting alot when I left, mostly in my legs and buttcheeks though, not my back.

I don't understand why we have to log roll even now to get up from the bed, when PT has me doing pelvic tilts and stretching backwards over a ball. Is stretching okay, but mechanically moving/ bending is not?

I go back in two more weeks to see if I'm fusing. I wish I knew now that everything was doing good. I've worried about only having cages and not screws or plates.
advertisement