Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tens machine

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi Everyone! Has anyone purchased a tens machine for back pain relief? I felt like it helped somewhat during p.t.
and was thinking about buying one for home use. Anyone got any ideas of what brand works well or what model to buy.
I am clueless. I was looking at some online and just don't know which kind to get. Thanks! Hope
advertisement

Comments

• My health insurance purchased mine and set me up with monthly supplies. It was great. I would check with your insurance company first. You may need a prescription from your doctor to get it.
  • Thanks so much! I will check into my insurance paying for it. I didn't even think of that being an option, but it is definetely worth a try. Hope O:)
  • :) hi! you might try putting "tens unit" into the search engine of the archives and see what you get. there is alot of information from posting and they might answer alot of your questions. Jenny :)
  • Hi Homeformeyet,

I purchased a portable TENS machine for $150 right from the rep. He was at my physical therapist. I submittted it to my insurance to see if it would pay. My pain Doc wrote a script for it, so we'll see.

IT HAS BEEN A LIFE-SAVOR. I had a lot of pain driving and this has really helped. I can wear it in public and it looks like a big cell-phone or pager.

Get extra electrodes. The sticky stuff wears our fast. I put the electrodes on my tush. (I have sciatica). I am on lyrica with tramadol as a back-up pain pill. Since the TENS unit, I have had a lot less high pain days (You know the 8-9 days when you want to drive yourself to the emergency room). It has provided me with a non-drug way to help control pain and also a way I feel in control of something in my life.

I got mine from www.momentumortho.com. but i would ask your doc what he advises. The little $150 unit works for me.

Good luck and let us know how its working for you

Carol
  • I paid $150 for mine. I bought it at the PT. Give me a week or so and I'll probably make you a good deal on it. For me it doesn't seem to help all that much. I have upper back pain and all it seems to do is distract from the pain. It's kind of irratating for me. Wish I could have tried one out before I bought it.
  • I can't believe everything I am finding on the message boards! I have been diabled for 7 years and have been dealing with severe chronic pain. I have a horrible doctor. I am at the point of killing myself because I see NO light at the end of my tunnel, just more and worse pain with no one to help me. My PM does nothing for me except to write my oxycontin prescriptions and thats it. And he even cut my dosage almost in half at that! Here I am, ready to kill myself, only to discover that there are all sorts of procedures and devices to help with the pain. Can you imagine that? Can you imagine if I killed myself because I am in the dark of all of this stuff? How pathetic is that? My PM spends a whopping total of 4 minutes on average every month with me during my visits. He's bilking my insurance company out of his greed. If I thought that I was angry before, I am beyond furious now!
  • Hey Jewels, I can completely understand what you are saying. I am getting no where with my primary care doctor.
    He doesn't have a clue as to how much pain I'm in. If I don't get relief soon I am going to a pain clinic. Have you been to a pain clinic? I don't know if they can help you, but it's worth a try. Hope
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.