Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello All

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello My name is Rick.I am new here and hope you all can help. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with a heniated disc between L4 & L5. Very painful leg pain when Walking.
advertisement

Comments

• Hey Rick,

Welcome to Spine Health. Sorry that like the rest of us, it is pain that drove you here.

How did you manage to herniate L4-L5? Wait lemme guess ... lifting equipment into the van?

Just a wild guess since your login is drumzstix.

Someone is always around day or night, so drop in anytime.

"C"
  • Welcome to our lil corner of the world where all us spineys live :)
    Theres lots of ppl to talk to in here anytime you need someone to talk with. Were a fairly easy to get along with bunch and besides learning some valuable info you'll make a few new friends

Christina:)
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. have any conservative treatments been suggested? there are alot of options there to try. make yourself at home and check out the "Chronic" pain section. good luck and keep us informed as you progress. Jenny :)
  • Hi C,
    Thanks for your comments. Actually I am not sure how this happened. I have been playing drums for 41 years(I am 51)and probably bad posture while playing may have contributed. Everything started with burning low back pain around july 11th-I then went to my chiro for several adjustments (he never did x-rays or and mri till later)and and then the last one where they do your hips-that one put the pain over the edge and I had an mri 4 days later and you know the results.

So here I am 3 weeks later and have seen the Orthopedist who has me doing Physical therapy 3x per week and that seems to be helping a little. My ortho doc also said I could have an epidural and surgery if all else fails. I sure as hell don't want surgery!!

Anyway my physical therapist tells me that my back is very tight and stiff and a massage therapist may be very helpful.She also thinks that I may have Piriformis muscle isssue going on at the same time. I tried accupuncture and that worked a little to relieve the muscle spasms. I am seeing a massage therapist tomorrow. As for meds I am taking Soma and Alleve. Can you give me some insights??? Thanks so much hope to hear from you soon....Rick
  • Hi C Paugla Christina 69 and lulusheart,

that last post was supposed to be for everyone...I guess I'll get used to this...Rick
  • Good Morning Rick

Wow your chiro did an adjustment like that without new x-rays... ugh! Sorry to hear that he put you over the top! Darn and I thought I had the lifting into the van theory down to a science. =))

With the PT you are going to, are they having you do any stretches? To include piriformis stretching? Stretching has been a lifesaver for me and without doing a good job stretching, the strengthening exercises they taught me would just make me hurt more. Had to find a happy balance.

Let us know how it goes with the massage therapist. I have always wanted to go to one.

Don't worry about not having the forum figured out yet. We are getting things figured out too, with the new format. Glad that you found us though. There's a wealth of information, a wealth of experience and a bunch of just genuinely nice folks that want to help even if it's just giving you a shoulder to lean on.

Paul,

You're correct there is a familiar person standing behind me. She is one of the world's most awesome individuals, one of Spine Health's fantastic Moderators and best of all she's my friend!!!

"C"
  • My advice always is to avoid the chiros like the plague. I also had my condition worsened by a chiro in the beginning of all this. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Hi Paul,
    I had a 2 hour initial massage therapy session earlier today and it felt very good and for several hours afterward I had very little pain-the therapist said I may feel stiff later and tomorrow but the real benefit will be Tuesday. She said I was incredibly tight,but I responded well.

I am hoping for the best. I am walking more up and down my street-they want me do try at least 10 to 15 minutes per day. I will do almost anything to avoid surgery. My next PT is tomorrow and I am doing stretches but since I am still in a good bit of pain they are not having me do anything really difficult. I will see what happens tomorrow.

Talk to you soon and Thanks to all who have replied I will try to connect with all of you individually too. I need all the advice I can get.
    Thanks Rick
  • I agree with your advice, "to avoid the chiros ..." if you have a known treatable condition, because there is nothing that compares to a good physical therapist/massage therapist who specializes in your condition/part of the body. I went to PT for about 9 months in high school and then 6 months last year. My symptoms did not improve with my back because I have a congenital abnormality that cannot be physically manipulated or rehabilitated without surgery; however, I experienced great relief with cryotherapy and Stim/TENS until the area regained full feeling about 2 hours later. Brief bouts of pain relief, but I am thankful that I at least get some. My physical therapist was the one who pointed out the fact that my feet are completely flat, which leads to many orthopedic problems. Since then, I have paid attention to what I slip my feet into so as to avoid that knee replacement at middle age I was so warned about. The angles change so much by that simple component of height. It's funny my ortho at the time didn't notice that while he was treating me for my knee. Never looked at my feet. I'm sure it didn't help my spine. Oh well, I am happy to know now!
advertisement