Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bird Lovers

EwaightEEwaight Posts: 250
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Water Cooler
Anyone who knows me well knows that I am a critter lover. I have 5 dogs but all the neighbors cats think they live here as well. I maintain a 60 gallon aquarium and a 300 gallon outside pond. My main passion is birds. If I could do anything for a living it would be to study and track birds and their migration patterns and mating habits.
I am a total bird nerd. I have 5 bird baths and 5 different feeding stations. I usually see at least 40 different species of birds in my yard and that changes depending upon the season. My favorites are the hummers. We only get the ruby red throat here in TN but I have spotted a few rare ones over the years.
I have the same male and female show up every Spring and nest in the big Pine in the back yard. The real fun starts in my yard the first week of August. This is when the migration starts and I have a lot of visitors stop by on their way home. I have 20 hummingbird feeders that I clean and maintain until the end of October. Friends have already started calling asking if they are here. I have about 10 now but if they all show up like last year I expect to have up to 50 at a time. Ruby Throated Hummers have been referred to as the junk yard dogs of the bird world because they are so aggressive. When they are fighting they do not even care that you are sitting or standing right there. I have had them fly up to within 2” of my face and just hover and stare for awhile. Sitting on the front porch or back patio is like being in the middle of a bee hive.
Any other bird lovers out there? Let me know what you are seeing in your yard today or just share your birdy stories. I love to hear about the different birds in other parts of the world.
advertisement

Comments

• My neighbor has a large butterfly garden and quite a few bird feeders, so I get to watch them next door.

There are a couple areas where peacocks roam.
    The males are beautiful and pre-surgery (when I could still run), I was chased by a few male peacocks. Thank goodness I got inside my car safely. One of them even came to my window and gave me the evil eye. X( Everyone in the car laughed but I must have trespassed on their turf. :O jade
  • I love to watch the hummingbirds in my back yard. Unfortunately since my back surgery (and before)their feeders are dry as my husband does not bother to get them down so I could wash them and fill them up. He said right now there are too many blooming flowers so they don't need it. But i still enjoy seeing them and fighting over the same feeder when there are two others close by. Today I saw one in the side yard flying off a plant, so I know they are still around. I will bug my husband to get the feeders off for me so I can refill them.

Kin
  • for reminding me. I need to put some water on to boil to make fresh food today.

With 20 feeders I am queen of S hooks. Simply hang them over a branch. I also use small S hooks on the tips of the umbrella over the patio table. This seems to be their favorite spot. If you do not have any you can make a hanger out of garden twine.

Walmart has a brand of feeder this year that I really like. It is made by first nature and looks more like a jelly jar. No curves at all. Much easier to clean then the old ones. The small ones are only $2.99 each.

Happy hummer watching.
  • Love hummingbirds too. I have a cute feeder in the garage. Gotta put it somewhere. :S jade
  • I've been meaning to get a hummingbird feeder as well but i keep forgetting. :<

They are the coolest things and so cute.

Evelyn :)
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • That sounds awesome. We've got brown doves and blue jays, cardinals and crows, and goldfinches etc. The worse thing is chasing the pigeons away. We love birds. It's a great hobby. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am also a huge bird nerd!!! Those hummers are the coolest. It is so funny when they put on their migration weight and buzz past you so slow because they are so fat that they can hardly move! 50 feeders are alot to keep up with considering that they must be cleaned every 2-3 days. I have six feeders (not including the ground feeding that I do) and 4 birdbaths so far. I have 3 feeders for the hummers. I used to have more but with all of my back issues it has really gotten hard to keep up with them. My hobby started in 1989 right after hurricane hugo when so many birds and animals were displaced. I love them all. I also have 2 parrots that I love dearly. most people do not realize how intelligent these creatures really are. We have a pair of ruby throated that nest in our yard every year and this summer we had a very clear view of the parents feeding and caring for the young. They are some fearless little birds for sure. Glad to know that I am not the only bird fanatic here. I am so bad that I worry if we have to leave for a few days or a week about the feeders going empty or the birdbaths going dry!
  • Fried chickens have to be my favorite. =P~ :D
  • if so you might want to place it in the lighten and brighten section.
  • NOPE NO JOKE I LOVE FRIED CHICKENS .
    Is that weird ? >:D<

• Hummingbird feeder, I hope to 1 day put it up. :^o jade
  • just offensive given that we are having a Water Cooler conversation about a hobby and our love of wild creatures. Not eating them.
  • I knew i would find you on this post..lol
  • we got all kinds of mockingbirds in the back yard,alon with 2 kinds of doves.and sqirrels...uhh a skunk and 2 possums,,but the mockingbirds are the best
  • mockingbirds too! They have such character and personality!
  • Ive got ropund a hundred rolls of 35mm waiting for development, lots of nature and quite a few birds. Some from the middle of the desert, others in the mts,and a lot of gulls. The mockingbirds are a mean bird, peck ya on the head when ya got too close to the nest in my live oak in front...dang, but its funny when the neigbors cat gets her attentions!
  • painintheback said:
    just offensive given that we are having a Water Cooler conversation about a hobby and our love of wild creatures. Not eating them.
    Oh I just read love birds part.
    I like owl's.
    Must of been hungry.....sorry.

• weakback said:
    painintheback said:
    just offensive given that we are having a Water Cooler conversation about a hobby and our love of wild creatures. Not eating them.

Oh I just read love birds part.
    I like owl's.
    Must of been hungry.....sorry.

Thanks for clarifying Dan, you funny man. I have yet to spring for a camera. So I just tell my bird stories and have some who still don't believe them.

Someday I will spring for a really good camera and get some good shots.

I have a small yellow parakeet who is over wintering in the backyard. I have looked out on 20 degree mornings and he is still out there feeding. I have bought special parakeet food just for him.

Guess he has decided to stay year round in Nashville.
  • Any way that you can get ahold of that poor little guy? He will not last long in the wild.
  • I really thought that you were trying to be irritating. We're good.
  • painintheback said:
    Any way that you can get ahold of that poor little guy? He will not last long in the wild.

I've tried several times. He seems to like life on his (her) terms and is not tame at all. I had the yellow parakeet and 2 white ones all spring and summer.

My once beautiful hosta garden is now a bird santuary. Lots of shelter, food and water. I hope that in my small way I am increasing his odds for survival.

I have read up on the Green Monk Parakeet colonies that have thrived in NY and others that have adapted. I'm hoping that he will do the same.
  • I am sure. Have you heard the story of the Cherry Headed Conures of San Francisco? That story is quite sad. The part where the guy that was feeding them and helping them for so long got kicked out of his house so they could tare it down and build something else. The man was basically homeless and had helped those Conures for something like 20 years, Once he lost his house he was not able to help care for them anymore. It is called The Parrots of Telegraph Hill. Good documentary but a tear jerker. My avian vet will not even watch it. It is sad that people get tired of having these little guys and just let them loose.
  • We have a Quaker parrot and he is a riot. He's deeply attached to my husband and calls him by his name. If you don't clip his wings, he'll fly and land on his pillow and nip him hello. If I try to touch my husband, the bird will attack me. He only gets ballsy when my hubby's around. He talks a lot and is very fiesty. I heard Quakers are hunted in South America and Florida because they're pests, I believe that but please don't hunt them. Quakers are one of a kind, and they need A LOT of one on one attention.
  • and he is bonded to my husband. He is something else. We lost our 10 year old African Grey a few months ago and have been just devastated. Our 7 year old Jardine was with her his whole life and is not adjusting well at all to being a lonely only. Anyway, we are thinking of adopting a rescue Grey. We went to the adoption center last Sunday and they had a Quaker that every time somebody went near him he would start saying something that sounded very urgent. We figured that he was speaking Spanish and the owner confirmed that he was. He was so feisty and cute. He reminded me of my Jardine.
  • I am a critter lover from the time I could just walk! Just last summer, when I could no longer work do to the increased pain and other problems associated with my spinal problems; I bought and installed my first bird feeder! Since then I have learned the call, flight and distinguishing features of several birds! The hummer was my best buddy all summer long even flew in through the window several times! It was sure lonely when they left.

Then I got acquainted with the chickadee, titmouse, nuthatch, and house finch. I can't wait for the spring migration and hopefully installation of more feeders and bird houses!

The birds seem to be equally interested in me and what I am doing as I am in them. They are very smart little guys with big personalities!

When I learn how to post pictures to this site I will post some of my critter favorites.

Hope more will post to this thread!

Great idea!

Cathy
  • I was never a bird person but a few years ago I moved to where I have a yard and I have a few small feeders and a bird bath. Birds are really cool and very interesting creatures. You're probably all gonna kick me out but i rescued a starling hatchling last spring. I would have taken him to the wildlife rehab but my car was broke down so I mixed up some food and fed him..he opened his eyes by the end of the weekend and I fell in love. The rehabber saw him a few months ago and she said he is very healthy. It was a lot of hard work but I tell ya...this bird is really huge for being in such a small body. he has taught me a lot.
  • I love my birds too.... It seems when u have pain and have nothing to do but sit around U find somthing that makes u happy.. my birdfeeders are all over the place when spring comes. it is great to see the migration. U get passer bys SO fun to see. Here is a map of the hummerbirds migration. KEEP checking back and make sure u mark when u seen hummers in your yard. I watch the map and see when it is getting close then I put them up.
    Monica
  • My neighbor loves birds so much that she is putting a fake bird on the branch of a small tree in her window so she will always see one! =D>

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
advertisement