Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

supplements for nerve repair

carolyoyoccarolyoyo Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Management
Hi,

I just found out that an epidural cortisone injection actually caused some nerve damage. My sciatic nerve is really irriated and causing me pain. I'm on Lyrica and waiting it out.

Has anyone tried nutitional supplemnents for nerve repair? How about Metanx? It is a prescription B vitamin complex.
advertisement

Comments

• After my surgery June 2007, I was taking a lot of supplements, one of them being Benfotiamine which is a derivative of vitamin B1 (Thiamine)to help repair nerve damage. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benfotiamine)

Honestly, I don't know how much it helped with the nerve damage, but it is supposed to be effective.

I also supplement with DHA everyday, and I notice that when taking higher doses, I feel a little better. Most people supplement with fish oil, but being a strict vegetarian I get my DHA (and EPA) from a supplement made from algae.

Sorry about the nerve damage, I know how you feel. I'm waiting to see my neurologist after a cortisone injection two weeks ago increased my back pain and I'm also having pain, numbness and weakness in my left leg, which wasn't there before. So now I get to deal with chronic back pain on top of two useless legs. ">image

Good luck Carol!
  • Yes, Vitamin B complex and in particular Vitamin B1. Prescribed to aid nerve repair after nerve damage.

I was prescribed it by my surgeon after my laminectomy and fusion surgery to aid sciatic nerve healing and also by my neurologist to aid nerve repair after suffering facial paralysis caused by Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• A B-12 shot always helps me
  • As my nerve was decompressing/regrowing/healing whatever it was doing while hurting me -- my dr checked my B12 levels & they were on the low end of normal and in previous bloodwork they were always on the high end, so he gave me a series of B12 shots. I think it was 6 in a row.

I'll tell you -- by the seond one I felt a HUGE difference! I'm pretty skeptical about that kind of stuff too. But -- I hadn't started any new meds or anything for weeks before that! Since that round he has me taking dissolvable B12 - minimum 1000 mcg - since some people can have difficult time digesting B12 from food/supplements that you swallow. I still have nerve pain, but when I get lazy and stop taking them -- it seems the pain is worse!

Karen
  • After my fusion surgery I was getting alot of cracks in my lips etc which is a sure sign to me that I am low in Vit B. So I started taking suppliments and eventually got a blood test which showed low folate and Hb as well. SO now I have Iron and folate as well as B complex and magnesium.

Funny how our bodies tell us what we need.

Sara O:)
  • I have 4 herniated discs in the lumbar with servere sciatic pain and have tried almost everything but surgery. I just head about b-12 shots and was curious how often do you get them?
  • hello does any one know that 2 eggs a day gives you the vitamin b12. But I am not sure how much you need 2 eggs gives you the daily requirement set out on the RDA scale .
    Does anyone know how much you need to help repair the nerves and what measurement is used?

I am also a vegetarian and wonder what supplement you get from algae. Carole please could you tell me what it is . :H
  • My neurologist started me on it years ago. It is known to be good for muscle and nerve health issues.

"C"
  • but wasnt sure if I should start taking one a day until I spoke to my doctor. Do a lot of you take it? What mg? Does it ever interfere with opioid meds?

Alina
advertisement