Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI scan UK

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
I have been told that some people have been waiting for an mri scan for over a year here in the UK. Does any member from the UK know if it's possible to have an mri scan done privately and have any idea about what it would cost.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Johnboy,

I am a Brit who lives in Denmark , but since I have limited resourses to do anything other than surf the net and sulk about my upcoming operation, I have looked up a few sites for you! The first is a general site with all private facilities in UK
    http://www.carehealth.co.uk/directry.htm
    so you can find something near you, some are via NHS Trust , so you may find if you look for an MRI near you it would be at exactly the same place as you are in a waiting list for, and maybe with the self same consultant!
    Next I looked up "private MRI prices UK " and there came up about 10 different sites on Google , all commercial sites so I shan`t put links here, but the prices were from 200 to 400 quid for a single body region ( lumber spine etc ) My mom asked her (NHS) consultant about a private scan on a Tuesday once and recieved a `phone call the following day asking her if she could come in Thursday evening of the same week, so if you are desperate for results they can move quickly, He rang with her results the Monday after. She opted to have her following care NHS and then payed privately for physio as she prefered to have someone come to the house and have some one-to-one help with how to get around and do training which were solely for her and her alone, not generally for people with her condition.

If the waiting lists are very long, I have heard of employers offering to pay for private consults and you can ring and ask how long the the waiting lists are at most places, so do look into that before you get your cheque book out.

Welcome to Spine Health. John , I hope you find what you are looking for and do come back and tell us what you find out.

Best Wishes Viking
  • Hiya

I was put on the NHS waiting list and was given an appointment for an MRI scan 1 month later. Im down in the south west, then I had to be referred to a spinal consultant before I could go onto the NHS waiting list for a micro discectomy. They gave me a date for 2 months later so I opted to go private as had already been off work for 3 months and so saw a spinal consultant 2 weeks later for £190. Its all dependant on what your doctor says when they refer you, I had been having pain in my left leg and bum cheek since January 08 and was signed off work in May 08 as could not sit down and my job is desk bound. Im now hoping to have the op on the NHS within the next 12 weeks. I know I have now moved further up the waiyting list again as my dr notified the spinal unit that I had started to get numb on my left bum cheek and partially in my groin area.

Hope this helps xx
  • you can have a lifestyle scan that does everything the cost varies but Lifestyle centres varie
    Try your local private hospital they man charge for a scan different if not appointment first

watch out for reports being extra charges
  • you can have mri done privately nuffield health is your best bet couple of hundred pounds i think
    ejturner
advertisement