Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need a hobby

doofddoof Posts: 131
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Matters of the Heart
It's been a long 2 year journey, I thought it was nearly over but apparently not!

It's my husbands birthday on Friday, he took up golf a year ago and is loving it. I went out with him this morning so he could choose a new club for his birthday present. We went to the local golf club, where he selected 4, he then took them onto the driving range to try them out.

I sat there watching him and felt really envious of him. I then realised that I really miss not having a hobby. Something that I can look forward to doing and improving at.

I used to have my own horse and would compete at eventing on a local level. Work soon got in the way of that, so I turned my attention to dog agility - age got in the way of that!! Then along came the spiney issues and life seems to have come to a halt.

I am lucky in that I can still get out and enjoy pottering in the garden and love walking my dog but I'd dearly love to get involved in a 'sport' of some kind. I'm not particulary fit, although I do try to get down the gym. Other than the usual physical restraints that we all suffer from, my biggest enemy right now seems to be motivation .

I think I might try and give golf a go, the only small problem could be that my hands feel like they are made of cotton wool and I keep dropping things ..... don't suppose that's too good a start for golf is it!!

I'm so so so so so fed up, I keep painting the smile on pretending all is well but it really isn't. I've got some nerve conduction tests coming up soon - it's this bloody waiting game that really pees me off.

Sorry to appear ungrateful, alot of you are so much worse off than I am. I've just had a pretty bad time lately, I feel guilty telling family and friends about it, they don't know what to say and painting the smile on is just too much effort right now.

I'm enjoying watching the Olympics right now, maybe that's what is giving me itchy feet again (well at least they are itchy and not tingly - for a change)!

Big sigh ...........

advertisement

Comments

• to hang in there doof. I can certainly empathize with where you are. We all want to be productive members of society and spiney issues seems to have robbed us of that. Start with something small and work-up from there. Best wishes.
  • is it,my father in law took me for a round of golf and refused to take me back because i would nt take it seriously and keeped laughing,so decided it was nt for me,ive started making the order of service and placecards for my sisters wedding and enjoy it,the local craft shop have classs for card making and jewellery,what about something like that,but i suppose ur hands might be a problem at the minute,come to ireland and we can both enjoy the best hobby off all SHOPPING,MIND YOU WE MAY BOTH DROP BEFORE WE SHOP WITH R BACKS LOL
  • I can no longer do any of the things that I used to call hobbies. My problem is that when I get a hobby I throw my heart and soul into it and get seriously involved, so like you I have had to try and find something else to do. I'm very restricted just now because I can't walk far even with crutches, standing kills me after about 5 minutes and sitting for longer than 15 minutes is painful too. That doesn't leave much but I've started card making, a bit of knitting and some cross stitch. I feel like these are things a grandma should be doing, but it's something to keep me occupied!

If you feel up to it, go to the driving range and have a go at hitting a few balls and see how you feel the next couple of days afterwards. If you're ok then go for it! If not, you will find something else, and once you do that enthusiasm will come back with a vengeance. Good luck and I hope you find something to do soon. Hugs, Spicey :)
  • I know it may sound silly, but if you husband plays on a course where golf carts are allowed, become his designated cart driver.

You get to learn the game of golf, get outside in the fresh air and it's low impact. From time to time as Spicey says, try the driving range or putting green and see how your hands do. There are special grips that can be put on clubs, to keep a person from losing hold of them.

Anyway, employ the theory of looking for a spouse. You know when we are younger we try and try to find the "right one" and that "right one" eludes us. However, as soon as we quit looking and quit trying so hard, we find out that the "right one" was there all the time.

Best of luck,

"C"
  • Could this be a go'er? Good for the back, good all round, physically. There must be some nice places to go tramping too, over your way.

...just a thought.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I liked Bruce's idea about tramping. One of the things I've been doing is taking photos. One of my friends who hasn't been to my area suggested I do a "Day in the Area Of..." photo project and its been super fun! I've met lots of interesting people in my community, plus I've been doing it on foot so I'm getting some good exercise too.
    Hope you find something fun to do!!
    ~Lauren
    ps. don't feel badly for complaining, its a really tough thing to lose the ability to do the things that make us happy in life, and we've all been there and understand...Good luck!!
  • Great suggestions from all of you.

I'm seriously thinking of going out on the golf course with hubby, I know he will be chuffed to bits to think that I'm taking an interest in something he's doing.

Your right Bruce, there are some lovely walks around here, although I think we are overdue packing up, taking doggie and all going off to a cottage on the cliffs for a long weekend.

I'm feeling much better today. Work have agreed to pay for my tests and follow-up appointment, which means the waiting time is halved.

Keep the suggestions coming - I think it's good to bounce ideas off of everyone :H

Sandra

• :) i am happy to know you have enough energy to take on an activity. that will help with the weight loss for sure. i have tried needlepoint but can't concentrate enough to follow the teaching books. just part of meds!! sounds like life will get better for you! ;;) Jenny :)
  • I don't know about over there, but in this side of the world, "tramping" means something else all together - very physical, but different.... =))
  • Yeah, but its also good for your back too........so I'm told =))
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• hey girl,
    sorry i havent been here for you, now i feel the guilt trip setting in.
    ive missed you loads and hope to catch up real soon we defo need that trip sorted ASAP as our summer is comming to an end :''( :''( :''( (did it start???)
    im back here for the day so i hope to catc up with you real soon.
    your friend always

LOVE PAULA
    OXO
  • Doof,
    As the imposition of mobility increases we are left with attempting to find alternative activities, I used to play golf off 11 and now as you, can only watch with some sadness.

Make a list of the activities you can do and maybe included some you would like to do, it may well take a long time to find the right one for you, trial and error is the key and lack of mobility does limit the options overall.

Sport was my life and anyone with no interest will wonder what all the fuss is about and that loss is never easy. This needs to be about you and make that choice an achievable objective it need to cheer you up not become more frustrated and just another thing you cannot do, it may be something you never thought you would do active or not use your existing skills or develop new one’s.

A hobby is a key skill to improvement, achievement and a myriad of benefits for the future, it will take time, planning motivation and patience all the skills that you have dealing every day with pain, I found an activity when I could stand and deal with bad days an unofficial rest.

Come on lets see your list, 2012 will be here soon, what event will you be in !

Take care and good luck. John
  • I so need a hobby right now. Am really bored at home. Not sure what I want to do or in my case it's what can I do?!

My hubby plays a lot of golf too. I tried it once at the driving range but it wasn't for me. I wasn't v good at it either. As I took a swing I was spinning round in circles! LOL. I keep laughing when hubby tries to give me tips but my boobs are too big and in the way and I keep laughing and don't take it seriously! LOL. It doesn't help that hubby's handicap is 3 and won a golf scholorship in university when he was a student so, he takes it v seriously and gets annoyed that I don't! LOL. I keep telling him that I could be a pro too LOL but don't really think so!

Sandra we could take up a hobby together. A simple one that doesn't take too much effort! LOL.

Cx
  • I've got a feeling I'm not going to be taking it too seriously either. Hubby was trying to show me how to hold the club properly by standing behind me the other day and I kept wiggling my bum, nearly turned into a 'blue movie' :D !!

While I was out walking my dog today we stumbled across a polo game. They were in the processing of tacking up the polo ponies and warming up. It took me right back to the good old days when I used to compete on my horse - it's probably a bit too early to think of jumping back into the saddle just yet but it's something to aim for.

I've been watching the Olympics too, I thought perhaps archery but I can barely hold a pen, not sure the spectators would be too safe with me around. Back to the drawing board!!

• Growing something, maybe in pots so it doesn't require too much bending. Can even plant and grow herbs and things to eventually be used in the kitchen.
  • Big pots and raised beds are definitely more back friendly though!
advertisement