Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Synovial Cyst

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I am new to this list. I am having severe pain in my left leg. History of degenerative facet joints, stenosis, buldging disc, and now a synovial cyst. I had the cyst aspirated and was pain free for three weeks. It came back and now my pain doctor is having me see a surgeon. Has anyone out there had one of these cysts and how did you get relief. Also have had steroid injections with only about a month of relief. Now have been put on Lyrica and Didaudid. I have not started the Lyrica yet. It seems like a fairly dangerous drug with lots of side effects. I don't like the idea of weight gain and water retention either. What do you all think of Lyrica. Should I take it? The dilaudid works but is a narco and I don't want to become dependant on it. I see a surgeon on the 21st of august. I would appreciate any response.

Laura
advertisement

Comments

• I understand your fear of the meds but many of us here have come to the realization that we do whatever it takes to stop or lessen the pain. If you take the narcotics out of need verse pleasure you really do not need to worry about becoming addicted in that way. as long as you take it under docs supervision and exactly as prescribed. There is a member here by the name of paulgla that has had a synovial cyst. perhaps he will stop by or I am sure that he will not mind if you PM him. Good luck to you and really do not worry so much about the meds if they work for your pain they are well worth taking.
  • Hi Laura! Sorry you are in so much pain from your cyst. Often aspiration solves the problem, but sometimes not, as you have found...

My 1st surgery was for removal of a synovial @ L4/5, but upon seeing it, my NS had to do a lot more than usual b/c it had invaded the surrounding facet joint, the yellow ligament & was also growing into the disc space....it was no longer "contained" so he had to do a lammy, facetectomy &some other stuff....6 days later (post op, at home) I devloped a spinal fluid leak & after 3 weeks of trying to seal it (blood patches, lying flat etc) I had a re-op to fix it & that's when the spondy & all the other stuff began, & why I need the PLIF in Jaunary...

I was on Dilaudid after my PLIF--it worked really well & I was titrated down by May (from 6 a day to 1) so had had little problem w/ withdrawl symtoms...as Painintheback says, if it's RX'd under your doc's orders & you use it for legit pain, only as long as needed, you'll be fine. I tried Lyrica b4 my PLIF for the nerve pain, but couldn't tolerate it. Also had 9 injections, none of which helped. So used Valuim for the spasms and Advil for the pain...didn't help that much. The PLIF did the trick, for now...7 months out, feeling much better, cyst is history, as is the disc it grew into, etc.

ANYWAY, hope you get some answers from your surgeon. Usually cyst removal surgery is uncomplicated...I just had some bad luck--but my NS said recently I may have eventually needed the PLIF anyway (asside from the leak) b/c there was some initial spondy there to begin with.

Stay in touch! Keep us posted! A cyst can REALLY hurt--it's NOT in your head! (It's in your BACK! :)

~Lakeside