Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible Bone Tumor

MelissaJoMMelissaJo Posts: 196
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a L5-S1 fusion back in 2004. The reason for the fusion was a torn bulging disk with extreme pain. I had an MRI May 2007 and my neurosurgeon, who did my fusion, said it was completely normal. I had mild pain at this time. I had another MRI done about 2 wks ago and again returned to my neurosurgeon. I was seeing a pain mngmt doc and I never seemed to get anything out of them except for meds. No straight answers or tests to figure out my once again extreme low back pain. With comparing last yrs MRI to this yrs, the L4 vertibrae was completely, almost a glowing white on this yrs MRI. Last years it was the normal gray-black color. Both of these MRI's were done identically. Some with contrast and some without. At first my neuro thought that maybe some of my hardware was loose so we did an X Ray. Well that is not the case. He now feels that I might have a bone tumor. I went in for a blood test on 8/8/08 and of course am still waiting for the results. Has anyone else had a bone tumor or known someone with a bone tumor?
My symptoms are: Low back pain, right and left hip pain, right leg pain down to the ankle(this comes and goes)also tingling in my right leg. When I lay down the pain is worse in my back and if I am laying on my side that hip I am laying on hurts worse. Over the corse of the last year the pain has intesified, especially over the last 3 months. My legs seem weeker also.
I have NO nerve damage that he could see at all with the MRI. I am only 32 and the pain is so bad that I cannot do my daily functions normally. I cant even load the dishwasher without being in so much pain that I can't stand up straight. Anyone with any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
advertisement

Comments

• could be so many different things. I experience the same pain as you and especially can not bend, sit or stand for long and my problem is in my facet joints. so as hard as it may be please try very hard not to think the worst unless you know for sure. stress can really intensify pain and it may be needless. I know that is easier said than done but maybe the doc is just eliminating all possibilities. sometimes people that have back pain never really get a diagnosis just treatment to control the pain. please do keep us posted when you get the results and good luck to you.
  • OK so I called the lab and the results were sent to my doc yesterday. So I called the doc today and left a msg with his assistant to try to get the results. I wish the lab would have just told me. ARG!!!!! yet another waiting game! :|
  • results of my blood work and there is nothing in my blood stream!!! yeah!!! So if it is a tumor in my back it should be non cancerous!
    I go on Tues the 19th to get the bone scan and on the 22nd to see the doc and get the results. The good thing is that they are going to give me the films to bring back to my doctor. I was told by my doc the types of things they are going to look for in the bone scan, so if there is anything there i wont be totally shocked when he tells me because of course I am going to take a peak at them before I go see him. LOL
  • Congrats! As a cancer survivior, I can relate to the fear of waiting to find out the results. Hopefully everything else is OK too.
  • Hi,i am glad they found nothing in your blood stream,and the tumor is non cancerous,let us know what happened with your bone scan...take care
  • Everyone. yes the waiting game on the blood test has almost been as bad as the pain. My Grandfather on my Mothers side passed away a couple months ago from bone cancer so I was a little worried.
    I am sure glad that I found this site. Everyone is very helpful and when I am able to help other people on here it sure is awesome to be able to do that. Thank you again and I will let everyone know next week what the scan say's.
  • was done this morning. Now I have to wait until 11am to get the scan done. The injection has made me feel a little quizy :& but, I can only imagine the crap that is in that stuff. Kind of weird when they pull the syringe out of a thick insulated blue tube that is stamped radioactive all over it. Gee thanks guys. LOL
    I will post as soon as I get home and let you know what all is said. The crappy part is that I have to wait until Friday at 11:30 to see the doc to go over the results. BUT I will ask the readiologist a couple things. I know they can't say too much about the results but I am sure I can con them out of a couple things. LOL
  • was done this morning. Now I have to wait until 11am to get the scan done. The injection has made me feel a little quizy :& but, I can only imagine the crap that is in that stuff. Kind of weird when they pull the syringe out of a thick insulated blue tube that is stamped radioactive all over it. Gee thanks guys. LOL
    I will post as soon as I get home and let you know what all is said. The crappy part is that I have to wait until Friday at 11:30 to see the doc to go over the results. BUT I will ask the readiologist a couple things. I know they can't say too much about the results but I am sure I can con them out of a couple things. LOL
  • :H So I took a look at the films that I received. I cannot download them from the disk for some reason but I did do print screens into word if anyone wants me to email them to them. ANYWAY. I dont know what to think. The lower vertibrae are the "hot spots" or "lit up white" and so are parts of my hip and pelvic area. Now does anyone know what the bone scans detect? I know they were trying to see if I had a tumor, but dont know if that is all that will show up. If there is anyone who has had a bone scan and had the results read please let me know your experience. Thank you all in advance for your input. Hope eveyone is having a great day. Mel :D
  • Bone scans can reveal a variety of prolems, from inflamation to arthritis. Wait until you talk to your Dr until you get worried.

When I had mine done 2 months ago, it picked up that I had dental work done shortly before the scan. A professional needs to look at at, and give you the results.

Good luck!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.