Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

osteopath or chiropractor

angelaangel Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Alternative Treatments
This morning my GP advised me to see either a chiropractor or an osteopath. What is the difference and what would be best?
I have suffered from chronic pain in my thoracic spine which has gotten much worse in the last 6 months with severe spasms lasting hours. X-ray shows only spondylosis though an x-ray 20 years ago showed previous Schuerrman's disease. I asked for an MRI but my do refused. He also said my facet joints were causing my pain. I am so confused. I take strong painkillers, diclofenac and diazepam.
Please can anyone advise? I am seeing a chiropractor tomorrow but have read some nasty things about them and am scared of making things worse.
advertisement

Comments

• From a quick search in Google, it seems that they share some things, but the main difference is that the chiro treats only the spine, whereas the osteo looks at the whole body.
    Have a good talk to the chiro before he does anything and see if it sounds OK to you.
    He will examine your spine-take the x-rays- and will probably just try to loosen up the joints initially.
    May need several treatments as you can't undo years of problems quickly.
    I go to my chiro at least every 3 months for a tune-up. More often when I overdo it and lock up or put a joint out.
    To me, he is a life-saver, as no-one else can get me right again so quickly and reliably.
  • OMT is more about moving muscles and joints using stretching, gentle pressure and resistance.

I have a lot of respect for D.O.'s. My current PM doc and the doc that did my SCS trial are both D.O.'s.

I used to get OMT from a D.O. for shoulder pain and headaches back in the early 80's. It was awesome.

I haven't ever been treated by a chiropractor so I can't say yay or nay.
  • Some how I got a double post and I can't find a way to delete entirely.

Gomen Nasai
  • I have been to 3 different DO and the best 2 gave me no improvement the third left me very sore. The chiro I see is great, last week I could not stand up straight when I walked into his office, after he was done I was able to run up the stairs.
  • angel- Is it possible to ask the GP for an MRI? I do not know why the osteopath would be opposed to getting one. It could not hurt to see another osteopath or two for additional opinions on treatment... :))) jade
  • Hi Jade,
    I did ask my GP for an MRI and he said he wouldn't send me for one as he thought it would expose me to unnecessary radiation. I feel without one, how can anyone really tell me what is going on in my back? I need to know why I have these extreme spasms and I just want as much information as I can to help me to deal with it. He just advised me to see and osteopath or a chiropractor. I have been in touch with an osteopath and am going to book an appointment. I feel this will be the better option for me rather than a chiro. I just feel I my GP is not taking my pain seriously enough. But is being stuck rigid in spasm unable to move an inch for 5 hours not something to be taken seriously? I want to get to the bottom of this now, and not wait until I am any worse. ~X(
  • I'm kind of surprised they're not giving you an MRI or at least some kind of testing to figure out what's causing this. If the doc isn't taking this seriously I hope your osteopath does. Good luck and I hope you get some much needed relief with the treatment.
  • I have been to see an osteopath a couple of times now, and I am really impressed. The first treatment left me feeling worse, all last week my back muscles were really tight and I couldn't sit to watch tv or settle to one place, had to keep shifting position, and lie on the floor - felt like I needed to be stretched out on a rack or something. Today, I have had deep massage and manipulation. My osteopath 'cracked' my back, I heard my joints 'pop'. It hurt alot while he was doing it, but when I stood up to leave I felt an inch taller, and my back feels great, for the first time in months. He said I'd be sore after a couple of days, but hopefully this is helping. I can't believe how 'normal' I feel today :) I almost forgot how it feels.
    Hope it lasts.

angel :)
  • angel said:

I have suffered from chronic pain in my thoracic spine which has gotten much worse in the last 6 months with severe spasms lasting hours. X-ray shows only spondylosis though an x-ray 20 years ago showed previous Schuerrman's disease. I asked for an MRI but my do refused. He also said my facet joints were causing my pain. I am so confused.
    angel- I am glad to hear the osteo helped with your pain. That is good news.
    But I would press on for an MRI, as your past history shows abnormalities and I would think the dr would want to see the spine in more detail. The exposure to radiation excuse seems a little extreme as I have had many MRIs, X-rays and so on. I think it is a necessary evil..take care ..jade
  • jade2 said:
    angel said:

I have suffered from chronic pain in my thoracic spine which has gotten much worse in the last 6 months with severe spasms lasting hours. X-ray shows only spondylosis though an x-ray 20 years ago showed previous Schuerrman's disease. I asked for an MRI but my do refused. He also said my facet joints were causing my pain. I am so confused.

angel- I am glad to hear the osteo helped with your pain. That is good news.
    But I would press on for an MRI, as your past history shows abnormalities and I would think the dr would want to see the spine in more detail. The exposure to radiation excuse seems a little extreme as I have had many MRIs, X-rays and so on. I think it is a necessary evil..take care ..jade
    Hi Jade,
    It's funny you should mention this but my osteopath has asked me to get more info from my GP as he needs to know more about my previous history so he can treat me better. He is going easy on me just now, as he is afraid to cause any damage without knowing the exact state of my spine. I am seeing my GP in a week and will ask again.
    You take care too :)
    angel
  • angel- Can your osteo order a MRI or do you have to have the GP order it? I think ins plans are different and in my plan, any dr can order a MRI with a diagnosis related to it. I am with the osteo as he wants to find the exact reason and the current state of your spine...jade
  • No, I am in the UK and we don't have plans, just the NHS. I will ask my doc about it when I see him on Monday. I don't know if my osteo could arrange an MRI but even if he could, the cost is likely to be too much. Angela O:)
  • I worked for a Chiro when I lived in NY she was great & after a couple of adjustments I felt good. We moved to Fla & it's harder to find a good one. I worked for another who was good but he moved too far away. There is no way to tell except for word of mouth & trying one. I went to one that was a very nice man & smart, told me my adrenals were shot & the only one to alert me that I had thyroid problems thru tests he did not reg Dr's. The only problem was I didn't like his adjustments, felt like it was nothing. My daughter went to one that really messed up her back when the table slammed down & all he did was say go to emerg room for an MRI & never bothered w/her again. So it is hard if they are good they are great but I hate going around to test them out.
advertisement