Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Let go

William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,209
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Depression and Coping
I was thinking the other night of my "past life" you know the one i had before the injuries took thier toll. And there it was ,an answer, I have been holding on to something that was only a memory,a figment of memory, i was holding on to the past. As comforting as the familiar is,and steady against the unknown, It Was the past,and it was hurting my healing of spirit.

Why hold on to something that is hurtful and unwanted?
All the memory was doing was reinforcing a bad behavior,
i would think of all the things i used to do,and of how much was simply a figment of my imagination,and what was fact...Pain...Is a wonderful sieve, It separates the fact from the bull.

So i found i have an easyer going now that i let go of the past..It simply doesnt exist..only as a figment of memory,part fact mostly imagination...
Its much easyer to live in the now

So...? have you found something slowing you down? a emotional deadweight? life is too short to chasing ghosts, that is ideas that are no longer valid.
What do you think?
advertisement

Comments

• a great post Ranch....gives you something to think about. Thank you for posting this....Miki
  • Ranchhand, you hit the nail on the head, exactly.

The longer you "pine" for the "old you" and dwell on what was, the worse you'll feel---and not notice any new improvements or healings...

I was what I was & totally enjoyed it--but that's over now. I am still somewhere between "no longer but not yet..." & have learned, thru all this, to be in the moment as much as possible, mourn a bit for what I lost (that's OK, as what you lost WAS who you were & it should be respected & validated) but then move on...accent on "move"... :)

In a few weeks, that will more/less happen anyway as I return to the classroom...teaching 2nd grade will guarantee that I'll be "in the moment" as children do that so naturally. I expect to get carried-away into their ever-present "now" and further distract myself from any lingering discomforts, etc.

This site has been a wonderful help in making my transition from immediate post-op misery to now 7-month optimism...Ranch, Miki & other spiney pals, all the best to you as you travel this long & winding road. We may come here for awhile & move on, or stay longer, PRN, but however we connect, we take the wisdom of friends made here with us & are blessed & enriched by the connections made.

"Que sera, sera" & Margaret Mitchell's quote: "Life is under no obligation to give you what you expect" have been my touchstones, too. May you all find something that helps re-focus and speakes to you , as well. O:)

~Lakeside
  • All the emotional baggage we carry only slows us down i think. maybe its human nature to idealise what we dont have anymore.I for one cant stand living with ghosts. Too many years wasted on trying to "Fix" people whove let themselves be run by images of an optimum past. Well gues what... trying to help someone who has a fixed and unwavering faith in a dead idea,is useless and a waste of precious time.
    Too may people try to stay faithful to a memory,
    The past life is gone and it will never be back, ever.
    So
    Whats a person to do??
    You embrace the change and make it your own...no?
    Grow into your new self and make it yours,a new outlook,a new way to think...why be stagnant? why "stop"
    all your going to do is cheat yourself out of time,
    one day when the acceptance happens you'll see, I hope that too much time hasnt gone between the perfectly acceptable mourning of a phase of life that has come to a close, It is a natural process to change no?
    If we didnt we would be running around with all the same ideas we ha as children ,all the predjudice's and failings of a immature,unthinking person. We live.we learn. that is the way of life,anything less and we would be shortchanging ourselves of all the wonders and experiences of life, in short, living a fulfilled and good life.

What is so hard about change? Why pay homage to a dead and unfulfilled ideal? Unfullfilled cause your still trying to live up to some thing that is gone,and never to return...ever. so..
    again..why cling to somethiung that is hurting you and weighing down on your spirit?
    It come's easy once youve ended the mourning of your "first" life.
    The next life you start can be just as fullfilling and rewarding if you set you mind in to building it no?

All your drives, passions, loves and things that make you..."YOU" are still there, they dont go away,they lurk in the deep and dark recesses of your wounded soul,

Choose to heal, choose to live! emotional baggage takes up space you could be using to create a new life for yourself!

Choose to retake controll of YOUR life from pain
    No some of you, as I, will never be free from pain.. ever, but choosing to live, under the shadow of this imposed slavery to the body can be a positive and rewarding process.

Your body only carrys what make "YOU" around for a short while. Wgat make's "you" your intellect, your mind, your soul, cannot be made a prisoner of the body, you have to give permission to your body to rule over you.

Free your "SELF" from any causal loop that entraps the spirit. yor mind will be sovreign from the daily, hourly reminder of your limits,of the body... Not of your free mind and spirit.

Fly free of this mortal cage which entraps and denies "You" of life. turn your face to a new sun, let freedom of your spirit guide you away from the mortal coil...
    If you look for freedom you will find it, it takes practice,and diligence, but the reward will be worth the toil. If not, living a chronicly unfulfilled life is all a person can hope for,and it will be a sad life indeed.
    I hope these lowly sentiments help the new spiney as well as the seasoned among us! I think together we will learn to fly free of the imposed prison of body and turn our faces to a brighter day!
    Love and light
    Ranch