Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello! I am new to this site.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
:)
Hi everyone,
I have had L4,L5 laminectomy in 2000 with pretty good success.My lower calves were numb. fter surgery it went away.
I also was to have cervical surgery shortly after that but, I held off. I almost got away with it but since I am into physical fitness, my cervical problems are flarring up bigtime. I recently had MRI's and Cat scans, EMG and have been to three surgeons for advice. Looks like I am going in for surgery for a fusion of my neck. My Right arm is numb and my right hand in particular. I have no range of movement in my neck or very little depending on the day.I often slip discs. I still spin at the gym almost daily ( because I don't move my neck) and try to ride a bike outdoors. I was playing tennis but it is too hot. Last year I hiked Pikes Peak. I am 57, I hate to resort to surgery but I htink I have to.

What I am wondering is: How many people out there have had this surgery recently and how are they doing post op?

I have heard horror stories about "don't do it!" I am in numbness with mild pain. I don't want to go into post op permanent pain and be reliant on pain meds. I only need to take Ibuprofin now.
Any advice will help.
Thank you.
advertisement

Comments

• to SH. Someone with cervical issues will be along. Just wanted to welcome you myself.
  • have you exhausted all conservative treatments? This is my personal opinion only but if there was no impending permanent damage without the surgery, I would wait as long as possible to have the surgery. It really is a personal decision to make but since there are no guarantees I would not risk being worse after surgery. I had surgery back in Dec 07 and am in much worse pain than preop so my opinion may be a little biased. Good luck with whatever you decide and please keep us posted.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i wish you the best as you ponder surgery vs. conservative treatments. why don't you go to "Good News" and read of some successful surgeries. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Hello!
    I am sorry that I am just now getting back to you. I forgot all about this site. I have been going to doctors and having MRI's Cat scans, Discogram on Friday, blood tests and such.
    I do think I have exhausted all types of alternative measures for a substitute for cervical surgery. I am going for accupuncture in a week or so. It is the only thing I haven't tried.
    What I want to know is why are you having so much pain? Do you need all those pain meds? Are they difficult to obtain?
    My husband is a physician and he is worried I may get hooked on pain meds. Right now I only take Ibuprofen for occassional pain. I am in numbness most of the time.
    Can I ask if you exercise? I am a pretty active person and I am so worried I won't be able to do much once I get operated on. I am supposed to have two separate surgeries. Cervical fusion and lumbar fusion. I have DDD and stenosis with nerve impingement in both areas. My right arm is numb and my fingers are as well on my right hand mostly.
    I fatigue easily and am in bed most of the time after I exercise each day. I am 57 years old and I am not ready to hang it up yet. I guess any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening.
  • Hello matelasse,
    Welcome to the community Enjoy yourself.
  • Thanks, Johnny. I am enjoying the community thus far!
  • matelasse- welcome to the forum. It seems you have alot ahead of with lumbar and cervical fusions. I had cervical ESIs and they did help my neck pain and headches but they did wear off. The lumbar ESIs never helped me..Have you tried other meds beside pain meds like meds for nerve pain or muscle spasms or other stonger NSAIDs? I don't know if they will help but they may help with some of the symptoms. I hope you find some answers here or at least others in the same boat..take care..jade
advertisement