Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Incontinence

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
Hello,
I started a new thread because I didn't see this topic discussed in the forum. (I've been posting to the thread I started, "Sciatica for over 6 mos.")

Has anyone else with sciatic ever had incontinence? I have read that "loss of bladder control/function" constitutes an emergency, but there are no other changes in my sciatica pain-- it's been about the same for months, although it is much worse at night. By the time I go to bed, I have severe pain and have trouble getting comfortable. In the past week, whenever I feel like I need to urinate, I have to hurry to the bathroom-- because if I wait too long, I'm unable to hold it. So, it seems I'm becoming somewhat incontinent. I'm 46 and have never given birth, so it seems unrelated to my age or gender. If no other symptoms have begun or changed, what should I make of this? Just an unrelated concidence? (I'm still waiting to get health insurance, it might take another 2 months.)
advertisement

Comments

• Unfortunately I think the only one who can give you the answer you are looking for, is a qualified doctor after a physical examination.

If it gets worse or you lose control completely, I wouldn't wait for insurance, but get to an ER immediately.

"C"
  • with C. This is not something to play around with. If it gets worse or you also lose bowel control go straight to the ER. They will usually reduce the charges and work out payments if you have no insurance.
  • Hi, I have had sciatica (mild) from the age of 15 to now (33) in the back of my right thigh, I have now been diagnosed with a heriated disc in my L5, S1. I know that in time if I dont get my surgery soon, one of the downfals is that I could loose control of my bladder and bowel. It may be worth you getting a second opinion on your sciatica as you may have some discs which are affected. So far Im just numb all down the back of my left leg, left bum cheek and side of my left foot.

Keep in touch
  • Urinary urgency can come from a variety of sources totally unrelated to your sciatica issue.

Side effect from your meds, caffeine/soda consumption, dehydration, low grade bladder infection/inflammation, hormonal changes (you are 46 and hormone levels might be beginning to change even if your monthly is the same), weight changes, decreased muscle tone from the chronic pain, etc.

Incontinence is different than urgency. If you can eliminate some of the above reasons and the problem continues seek professional advice; walk-in clinics can do a dip stick test of your urine to rule out infection, etc. If this is only happening at nighttime, think about your fluids during the day. Summer is a time when many people are dehydrated, their urine gets concentrated which can act as a bladder irritant. Just some thoughts to pass along....
advertisement