Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgical Consultation Today

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I saw my neuro surgeon today regarding my cervical spine problems. I had a CAT Scan first at the hospital. The Radiologist still needs to do the comparison of CAT Scan with the MRI's then send the report to my Neuro Surgeon.

My DO had concluded I need a C6 Nerve Root Block for diagnostic purposes. She wants to make sure that is causing my severe left arm pain. My Neuro Surgeon agrees. So that is next. He did say that is only one of my problems. I know I have disc bulging from C3 to C7 with Central Canal Stenosis to varying degrees from C3 to C7. My DO thinks he will do a C3 thru C7 decompression.

I really like this Neuro Surgeon. He took his time with me today. He treated me nicely. He explained everything so I could understand as he went over the CAT Scans. He wants to be thorough with the diagnostics before scheduling surgery.

So, the reports here will continue as I know more.

Both my DO and the surgeon today asked if I was having leg symptoms yet. Is this common with Cervical Spine problems at some point?

I'm calling my DO to schedule appointment to prescribe stronger meds. I'm only on Tramadol and Lyrica right now.

Thanks guys for your support!

Ken GreyEagle
Western Band Cherokee
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Good luck with the nerve block....
  • I have a bulging disc at C4-5. I have already had a fusion/discectomy on C5-6. At a neurological consult I recently had, the neuro told me that my pain in my legs was from diabetic neuropathy, not from my cervical problems, but he didn't tell me why he thought that. It's true that I have diabetes type 2, but it is mild, and I've only had it 5 years. I didn't have the leg weakness or extreme pain, until I injured the disc in my neck. I will be very interested in what you are told. At times I can barely walk from the pain. I too am on Lyrica 400mg a day, and Tramadol. As you say, sometimes it doesn't cut it. Good luck with your further tests. Would love to hear the results.
  • Hi Maggie:

I forgot to ask the neuro surgeon what kind of pain to look for in my legs. My spine doctor had also asked me if I was having leg symptoms yet. I see my spine doctor this thursday. I still don't have the date for the nerve block at C5-C6. I will let you know how it goes once I've had my latest appointment.

Once I've had the nerve block and the surgeon gets the radiologist report I see the surgeon again. I believe at that point he will tell me the extent of the surgery I have to look forward to.

Thanks for sharing what you have experienced.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • Hi GreyEagle,
    An old MRI from 2005 showed I had a disk protrusion at C3-4 moderately to severely compressing the spinal cord. At that time I had shoulder, and arm pain which resolved itself through physical therapy, neck traction. My late 2007/2008 symptoms were hand and forearm numbness. The neurologist asked how my walk was. I said okay, as it was at that time. He had me walk down the hall and back for him. He ordered a new MRI. A few weeks later I started experiencing leg weakness in my right leg. When I would walk my leg would feel like it may give out, especially if I stepped off a curb or uneven pavement, but even when I was just walking. Over the next several weeks I started limping and walking very slowly. The new MRI showed the C3-4 disk extrusion severely compressing the cord along with other verbage...There was mild to moderate spinal cord compression at C4-5 and a disk bulge at C5-6 with no cord compression.

I have never had any pain symptoms in my leg, only leg weakness.
    Brenda
  • Hello,
    with my problems I never had leg pain, but, I had severe leg weakness and my reflex's in my legs were very bad.I too had spine compression. My Ortho doc said not to wait too long before surgery or that my not be fixed. I still have some leg weakness but not near as much. I also lost some bladder and bowel control.
    I had my 1st surgery the day after I say the surgeon. I would ask how severe you are so it is not too late...GOOD LUCK
  • It's funny that you ask about the leg thing. When I talked with my doctor before getting the cervical epidural and told him of my symptoms in my shoulder and the pain down my arm into the fingers he asked me if I was having any pain in my legs. I'm not and let him know that but I'm thinking down the line it probably will. Looking at one of the photos of my MRI I have 5 discs that are pushing into the spinal canal. He didn't say I had stenosis but C 3-4 and C 4-5 are pretty close to the cord by what I can tell. Good luck with everything Ken!!!! :)))
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.