Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Allergic to tape?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had ACDF last Tuesday and when I woke up, I found that some of the places where they had taped stuff to me had red and purple splotches (kinda like tiny bruises). None of them hurt at all. I just noticed that I can still see some of them, so I figured I'd ask here. I should have thought to ask the nurse, but I was only concerned with what did hurt while I was still at the hospital. :) The tape on the back of my hand for my IV didn't do it. And boy, they sure do tape lots of stuff to you during surgery! :D

Does anyone here know of, or have reactions to hospital tape? I've taped gauze to myself with no reaction before. My skin does get red and itchy under bandaids, but not at all like this. I'm just curious. Like I said, they don't hurt, and I'm hoping to not have any hospitals taping stuff to me any time soon. :)

Thanks!
Amy
advertisement

Comments

• Did you have toradol or morphine while you were in the hospital?

I quit smoking a few days before my surgery and had a reaction to one of those meds where the patch was applied to my chest...... only where thr glue was.

I have had no orher issues since I left the hospital and the drugs and am still on the patches.

It took about 3 weeks for the scabs to clear-up

Best wishes............
  • You might want to check to see if you have developed a latex allergy. I have within the last 2 years and have the same reaction you do from certain types of tape.
  • I had a severe reaction to the steri-strips after a breast biopsy (lower underarm by the ribs) last year. The tape actually left bigger scars than the incision did! They actually looked like 3rd degree burns and I had to remove them before it was time because it was so painful. When I had my ACDF's I made sure to tell them not to use them. No problem, they glued my incisions closed and all is well.

I don't seem to have a problem with most tapes but those steri strips sure get to me for some reason. There are other ways to close a wound, just ask.

Sorry, ouch :''(

Griff
  • micropore and I dont get along but I can use it on some parts of my body but not others :jawdrop:
    Yeah, I know it seems strange but what I have come to conclude is that some places where I have had micropore used very regularly- like after blood has been taken in arm - then that is where I have become sensitive. Other places leg, back etc are fine.
    So for me it is more a sensitivity then an allergy but I do remember it if I am having a procedure.

Sara 8)
  • I had the same thing after twenty minutes of plastic tape application to my arm after lab draw and again after IV tape removed on forearm. I think it is from the plastic tape they use.
  • I too have had allergic reactions to tape. Right now I am hoping the Dr. will remove the last of the steristrips on my incision. It's driving my nuts.

I came home from the hospital with little pimple-sized bumps that itch like the dickens all over my back where the tape was that held the gauze over my incision. The steristrips aren't quite as bad, but it is incredibly annoying.
  • I had the same thing as saltz did. They were Really annoying.

Christina :)
  • I agree micropore tape is the best. I am very allergic to the other types of tape. I had the hardest time when I had surgery to wear a bandage because of the tape issue. You can the tape burns as much as you can the scars and that was five months ago.
  • I also had an allergic reaction to certain tapes. with broken out rash all over my stomach when i had my last c-section. so when my nurse ask me at the hospital the other day when she was going over everything with me for pre-op . i told her about tape, and she said my wrist band will have a different color on it than others, to show i have allergic reaction to tape. don't need any more itchy problems! =;
  • And I also did quit smoking, but I didn't use a nicotine patch. I did also have some itching from the Toradol the first few days on it at home, but it went away, so I don't think I had too bad of a reaction from that.

It's interesting to hear so many people have these issues! Thank you all for responding!

I'll remember to mention it if I ever have another hospital stay. I'm just glad it didn't hurt!! :)
  • itchy itchy itchy...scratch...drove me crazy all the time.

Christina :)
advertisement