Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fusions&kneepain...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After my fusion my sciatica decreased a bit but now I have terrible knee pain!!!my doctor said hes heard this alot from his fusion patients so.....I was wondering if anyone ended up havin to get surgery for dis reason...
advertisement

Comments

• The question is... how long was your back issue a problem?

I have a slight knee pain in the left knee (opposite the problem leg) that has since resolved post surgery.

I believe that it was because of all the additional stress and force I placed on the left side compensating for weakness in the right side.

Hope all is well and you do not have an actual problem

Best wishes.........
  • How are you doing? I had the same surgery on March 17th. :)
  • After i had my fusion PLIF L3-S1, my knees were very sore, even just to be touched.
    I eventually asked the O/S and he said it weas from the position I was in during surgery. He said they place the knees on gel pads but it doesn't always help for everyone.
    It had gotten better but did take a couple of months.
    This is related to a PLIF and wouldn't occur if you had ALIF or TLIF.

Maybe this is the cause?

Sara
  • Prior to the surgery, like Srtayl said, you will have been compensating for the back issues. Once you've been fused your whole posture and gait is altered. Even a small change in posture can put strain on the areas that aren't used to it, so it may be related to that too. Just a thought? I hope the pain goes away soon. Take care, Spicey
  • I had ALIF and my knees are so sore in the morning I was starting to think I had arthritis at 38! Not sure what is going on but it is in both knees. It gets better as the day goes on but still sore.

Will be asking next week at my 5 month check up.
  • I had total knee replacement on my right knee last summer. It has been hurting an awful lot the last couple of days - could be weather since we finally got a little rain today. I do notice that I walk sort of like Festus on Gunsmoke (yes, I am that old). But, if I use my cane it seems to help some. Didn't think that my posture could be changing.
  • I had total knee replacement on my right knee last summer. It has been hurting an awful lot the last couple of days - could be weather since we finally got a little rain today. I do notice that I walk sort of like Festus on Gunsmoke (yes, I am that old). But, if I use my cane it seems to help some. Didn't think that my posture could be changing.
  • hey there,im doing active therapy at the moment,they started me off for 12 sessions.Im still having mild back pain,but real bad muscle spasms on my left shoulderblade,my doctor said this could be from pressure and my body adjustin to the hardware ive been experiencing knee pain my Doc did said it is because since my sciatica leg pain reduced thats why im feeling the knee pain know but since this is workerscomp case i have to wait to get approval first so i can check my knees out #:S so....that could take awhile my worst pain is in the mornings geting up god i feel so stiff :/ so how are you doing did your fusion help you like you tought it would? :?
  • hey Sara well my fusion was done with me lying on my tummy,but my knee pain started like 3 months after surgery,at this point nothing scares me image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> ive goten usd to surgerys,injections ect....hopefully its not serious ill keep you posted t/k O:)
  • never gave me problems but my hips were so sore to touch.

CHristina :)
  • YES!!!finally someones feels my pain =D> thats exactly the way i feel in the mornings Ill be asking my Doctor this Friday... :))
  • My physio has me doing a lot of squat balls to strenghten my quads, knees and abs.
    My knees get so sore when I do these that they shake. :))
    Thanks fully it gets better after a short rest.

Let us know what the DOc says.

Sara
advertisement