Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycodone suddenly not working??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
HEllo. I have been on and off pain meds fo 3 years now due to chronic low back pain. I recently started having severe back pain after having my daughter. I was set up on a pain contract a couple weeks ago. Im suppose tot take the oxycodone 5mg x2, 3 times a day. Well, oxycodone has always worked for pain, but lately am noticing isnt doing anything unless I take the 2 oxycodones, then anothe one an hour and a half later. That seems to help alot more. I go to see my Dr on Wednesday, as I told her pain meds arent working. She mentioned oxycontin? Does anyone have any suggestions on trying something different, or any experience with oxycontin? Thanks :))
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ">image
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    There are basically two times of pain medications:
    Etended Relief - Provides pain control from 6 to 10 hours.
    Immediate Relief - Provides immediate pain control from 2 to 3 hours.

Oxycodone IR 5mg is the Immediate Relief medication and many itmes referred to as breakthrough medication

Oxycontin ER (10,20,40mg) is the Extended Relief medication. It is generally taken twice a day (ie 7am and 7pm) and the Oxycodone IR is used in between those periods to help control the pain.

The combination of those two have been very helpful in managing my pain. But I also believe that you need additional medications. There is a 'blend' that only your doctor and yourself can work out to address your medical situation. For me, it is the Oxycontin and Oxycodone, along with Neurontin (for nerve pain), Zanaflex (muscle relaxer) and Ambien (sleep assistance) That along with exercise, relaxation techniques(mediation) is what I really need to manage my total situation.

Each person is unique and will have different requirements.
    Work with your doctor to find out what is the best blend for you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • OK I have been on both and numerous others from time to time. My PM doc would switch be back and forth every other month from Oxycodone 10's 1-2 every 4-6 hours to Norco 10's 1-2 every 4-6 hours. She said I was developing a tolerence to the oxcodone since I had been on them for a while. As far as the oxycotin. I didn't like them at all! IT was hard to sleep, I was moody, and I felt just plain odd during the day. If anything I would suggest the back and forth of the meds. Try the oxycotin to see if you like them and if they work for you. Everyone is different. Oxycotin is basically a long lasting oxycodone. They are pretty expensive though! BUT be sure to have something for the break through pain. Dont take the oxycotin by itself. You only take them evcer 6-12 hours, I took them every 12 and needed something for the breakthrough pain. It is kind of a trial and error game. But do ask your doc about switching back and forth every other month, even if you decide to take the oxycotin. This will help you not develop such a tolerance. At least it did for me.
  • Bring this up to my doctor? I see her tomorrow, and am not sure quite how to go about talking to her about it. The pain is so bad tonight, I took 3 oxycodones in a 2 hr period, which I am sure is not a big deal, but my Dr is kind of a "natural" medication type of person. Ive tried Soma, lyrica, Ultram...with no relief. What would you personally recommend I bring up? Oxycontin with breakthrough meds? Like What?? I am so frustrated because they dont know what is wrong with me exactly, just that it has to do something with my facet joints... :''(
  • are my problem also and it can be crippling at times. I take methadone with pretty good success. They are every bit as good as the more expensive opiates and are dirt cheap. The methadone is very very long acting and I have yet to need meds for breakthrough. Let us know how it goes at the docs.
  • As you know self medicating is a no no...I kinda learned the hard way...anyway

You must be very straight forward and bring anything and everything to the table and ask what she thinks...

I have been in PM since Dec 2000 and they tried everything under the sun with me to no avail...everything in huge dosages as my tolerance level is very high...

When everything failed I asked about Methadone..yea Methadone from another patient and we switched some three years ago....and bingo my pain did not go away, it never will be it became a level that I can in most days get by....we started with 40mg a day to 60mg a day and finally 80mg a day when it stopped working but since we got to the 80mg each day I feel half way decent and we supplement with Lyrica, Ultram, Lioderm patches, zanax, and last but not least Trazadone (mainly for sleep)....

So I hope this helps SOME....and good luck..
advertisement