Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spasms

angelaangel Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I've read several posts where some of you suffer from spasms. I get spasms in my thoracic spine area. Mostly these only last a short while, but lately they have been much more severe and the pain is excruciating. When I had the last one, last week, I couldn't move for 5 hours. Now I am getting mobile again, but my back is left feeling really weak and I can only manage to do a little each day. Is it usual to take a few weeks to recover from these spasms?
advertisement

Comments

• AND last, AND last. Once I get to that point, there is NOTHING that will relax them until I get to the point where I succumb to a Demerol injection. I have tried every type of therapy technique, I have all kinds of massagers and tennis balls to try and break the spasms, but nothing works. I am really making an effort to keep up the fluids right now, and adding a bottle of gatorade or something each day.

There are times when the spasms are so severe it feels as though I have a steel belt being tightened around my ribcage, then one rib will be out of place and add to the misery!

I don't know about you, but I find that I get irritated the most by any activity, sitting or standing, that involves working with my hands out front, or any kind of work overhead.

I am currently taking Clonazepam (Klonopin in the U.S.) and Baclofen; two muscle relaxants, each for a different set of muscles. I can't imagine what the spasms would be like without them!!

Take care, and hope you find some relief.

Tracy

P.S. I used to take high doses of magnesium and malic acid, which REALLY helped with the spasms. I got out of the habit of taking them, but would like to try again and see if things improve.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    Angel,

Muscle spasms wherever they occur can be very painful. Its that sharp acute pain that can lead to more. One of the bad things about having muscle spasms is that it tenses up your body to the point you start to favor it. That in turn can create problems somewhere else in your body. You should be doing something to eliminate the spasms. Warm moist heat would be the first thing to come to mind.
    If this persists, contact your PCP to see if a muscle relaxer could be prescribed

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Dilauro,
    I have been prescribed diazepam as a muscle relaxer and it does help. I would like to find a way to eliminate the spasms though.
    Thanks for all your help - everyone here is so supportive and that is a help in itself :)