Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Winded feeling in back

doofddoof Posts: 131
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
For about 3 weeks now I have been feeling as though I have been kicked in the upper back and left with that horrible winded feeling. It's like I have bruised ribs, I expect it to be painful when I breathe in but it isn't.

There is a specific tender spot about 2 inches to the left of my spine (roundabout T3/4 level). The most comfortable position for me is laying down but at night time that's when my arms/hands start playing silly games and waking me up ........ that's another story! As the day goes on I can feel the 'bruising' feeling coming on, by the afternoon it feels like it has wrapped itself around to my chest. It's so unpleasant, it feels like I'm being squeezed and that my breathing should be restricted.

I've had lumbar and cervical problems, both of which presented very different symptons. This is another new type of pain. Does it sound similar to anything any of you have experienced?

I don't mind admitting that this is concerning me, the discomfort is nearly as bad as the sciatica and that was so so so so bad.

Sandra
advertisement

Comments

• I have no idea what that could be but you need to call your doctor if you haven't already. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing nad what you find out....take care sweetie....Miki
  • Hi Miki,

I have my nerve conduction tests next week and see the NS on 3rd Sept for the results. I was going to talk to him about it then.

I was just wondering if it sounded like 'T' stuff going on, if the 'T' guys didn't think it did then I would go to my Dr. If they think it does sound like 'T' stuff then I might aswell just wait to see the Neurosurgeon on the 3rd.

Does that make sense? I didn't want to waste my Dr's time if it sounds like more spiney stuff.

I'm hoping it isn't more spine stuff but I dread to think what it is if it isn't. I know for sure that I haven't been kicked in the back (by man or beast), I'm sure I would have remembered it if I had!

• talk it over with your doc and see what he says....that seems like the best route to take. But please do keep me posted sweetie....Miki
  • Sandra, I often have a rib that slips out of place, thanks to the spasms that persist, and it can cause that type of pain. Have you thought about checking in with a physiotherapist? Sometimes they can spend a few minutes doing some manual therapy and get things back where they belong.

Tracy
  • I have this going on with me since my last surgery 8/12. It feels like I must have cracked a rib(?)at times or was manhandled and didn't know it. LOL

Please keep us posted I would like to know what your outcome is. I see NS on 8/25 and will ask about these symptoms then as well.
    O-
  • You described it well doof . I told my husband it feels like someone is pushing on my spine right in the middle of back, and won't let up. i also have muscle spasms that seem to take my breath away. it kind of wraps around to the left side sometimes. i am wondering if i have some in the thoracic region going on also. it has been going on for a few mths. now. , along with my cervical first. too many pains going all different directions. i feel like a hypocondriac, complaining all the time. evertime i turn around there is a pain somewhere in my body. that is the reason i checked on the thoracic postings, to see if there is someone with same symptoms. i am ready to scream, and sometimes i have! take care everyone Leo
  • I'm so glad you have all responded, I'm not glad that you are suffering too, but its good to know I'm not imagining it.

Leo, I know exactly what you mean about feeling like a hypocondriac. I'm really worried about telling the NS about these new symptons. I feel like a bit of a failure.

I've got some tests this week for my hands/arms, I'm wondering if the back/hand pain is all connected - ho hum time will tell.

Oriah, keep us posted about your appointment on 25th, I'd be very interested to know what he says. I don't see my NS until the 3rd September but will let you all know what he says anyway.

Sandra
  • No you are not alone and not mad...I also suffer with this and not nice. Mine is linked to me twisting, not that i can get far mind. I feel like i have hit in the back with a cricket bat! I lay on the floor and curl up to stretch my spine to relieve the pressure..try it.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,736
    Hi Sandra!
    Sorry to hear about this new pain you are having. Thoracic discs can present themselves in many ways. The upper T-discs (T1-T5) normally show up as problems in the upper back, shoulder area and base of your neck.
    Once I read those two words together (Cervical and Lumbar) my first reaction was Thoracic problems.
    I started out with Lumbar problems and surgeries (no fusion), then I had cervical problems and surgeries (with fusion) Several years after my cervical surgery, I started to have Thoracic problems. My doctors felt that because of the lumbar problems (too rigid and lack of flexibility) and my cervical rigidness, there was additional strain placed on the thoracic discs. If this continues much longer, then I would contact your doctor to discuss it. Meanwhile, warm moist heat (showers and heating pads) should provide you with some type of relief
    As Tracy mentioned, ribs out of place especially the first rib is another sign of Thoracic problems. When I first started having Thoracic problems, one of the additional symptoms was that rib #1 would slip out of place. My PT's could always see that, feel that and gave me exercises to put that back in place.
    Also, the fact that you recently returned to work, I am sure that that placed additional stress on your spine.

Good luck and if you want any more specifics, post here or email me
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Well I had the nerve conduction tests done today - sadly they haven't revealed any nerve issues in the hand or arms. This means that the cause of the problems is likely to be coming from below the cervical ADR site (C5-6 and 6-7).

The arm/hand symptons plus the winded feeling in my back is really making me think that I'm looking at thoracic issues. I go to see my NS on the 3rd Sept, with any luck he will suggest an mri so we can see whats going on.

Soooooooo here we go again ...........

:S
  • Sorry to hear they didnt find any nerve issues,i hope you get the mri...take care
  • I have many thoracic herniations and you decribed my pain to a tee. I went to the doc yesterday and fe felt my back and said your muscles are so jacked up that I was off balance. So he gave me Robaxin 750's twice aday plus my percs and said go to bed for two days. I can take a full breath now. But you are right to think thoracic. Rest your back oh he said moist heat. Right it's 89 degrees here.
    Hope you feel better! Lois all dopped up!!!! @)
advertisement