Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica for chronic coccyx pain (coccydnia)??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been living with chronic coccyx pain (torture at times!) for over 12 years. I am tired of this pain and asked my primary care doctor today about alternatives for this condition - he mentioned taking Lyrica. Taking a medication like that on a daily basis long term is a little uncomfortable for me but at this point I am desperate so I thought I would turn to a forum like this to get some feedback, advice, etc...
He also prescribed me Lidocane pads? Got my first one on now - will update if it seems to help!

Anyone else know what a "pain in the a#*" this is??? No one I know seems to understand the magnitude of this pain and how it effects daily living.

Would love to hear from some of you! Thank you!
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! i see this is your first post and i want to welcome you to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i take 300mg of Lyrica daily for hip and leg pain. it has helped tremendously even though i have some side effects daily. the help with the pain means i can take the side effects: drowsiness, I) problems with memory and weight gain. good luck and i would give it a try and not give up in the first week. it took about a month or two to get to that mg. the side effects get less as you adjust to each increase. Jenny :)
  • 12 years!! I don't want butt pain for 12 years!! My doctor told me my coccyx was broken but it would heal. I can't even sit long enough to get a pedicure or watch a movie. I stand my entire day. I fell down about 3 or 4 of our stairs in our split level home, on my butt...boom, boom, boom. I thought I had enough cushion that I did not hurt anything. For a couple months now my butt a lower back are killing me. Finally had an MRI and there are 2 bulging disc, narrowing of something, degenerative disc, and facet joint something or other. I also had scoliosis surgery in 1982 and have 3 harrington rods and part of my hip fused to my spine. I go to see a complex spinal surgen on the 28th of Aug at the University of Virginia to find out what they can do for me. I am in so much pain. Can't sit, can't bend, leg pain after I stand all day. I want my life back!

Melissa
  • hi,

check out coccyx.org

I fell on ice when i was 12 (Loooong time ago) and mine hurt ever since. becareful not to compensate with a poor posture like me!

I am just about to strat Lyrica. I had Gabapentin but was seriously Spaced out so hoping that this one doesn't do the same. I personnally think if the side effects are too much that they make a significant negative change you shouldn't take them - whats the point of living in a dopey spaced out world? BUT if they do help and you can live with mild side effcets then do it.
    I think of it as a ladder (we all have a diffeent path up tho) and pills may well be your next rung. Good luck
  • hi i fell down some stairs well actually a flight, drunk as a skunk. not proud but hey it happened anyhow i fractured my coxxyx and i wonder if it was the start of all the other back issues.

but my point is after two years of pain ect not being able to sit for any length of time and finding it hard to position myself in any way that was comfortable, i found an osteopath who manipulated my coccyx for me and my goodnessit was the best money i have ever spent and 3 years on that pain is the least of my problems.

maybe its worth investigating or considering oh and i did not have any sedation or anaesthetic it wasn't necessary it was uncomfortable for about two minutes.

dawniee

xxxx

• Anonymous said:
    I have been living with chronic coccyx pain (torture at times!) for over 12 years. I am tired of this pain and asked my primary care doctor today about alternatives for this condition - he mentioned taking Lyrica. Taking a medication like that on a daily basis long term is a little uncomfortable for me but at this point I am desperate so I thought I would turn to a forum like this to get some feedback, advice, etc...
    He also prescribed me Lidocane pads? Got my first one on now - will update if it seems to help!

Anyone else know what a "pain in the a#*" this is??? No one I know seems to understand the magnitude of this pain and how it effects daily living.

Would love to hear from some of you! Thank you!
    Hi, I can completely sympathise with you. I am in the same situation and have been living with this horrible pain for 4 years. I had an accident which resulted in my coccyx being manipulated back into place. had 3 hydrocortisone injection and did not work. It was removed last November. Still in pain, if honest more now than before. I have just has another type of injection which left me numb for 3 days which was heaven. Alas i am now hurting again, but have been told by my consultant that the injection could take up to 2 weeks to take effect. Back on Oramorph, Tramadol and Ibuprofen. This is the worst pain i have experienced, and no one seems to under stand!!
    TINA ALLAN
  • DDDBACKDDDDBACK Posts: 57
    edited 03/05/2013 - 11:03 AM
    Forgive me. I have not posted here in some time. And I mostly only post when it pertains to many of my conditions. However, I would like to comment. Unless your pain is neuro in nature you are experencing inflammation in some condition. And keep in mind many have nerve pain from the inflammation. In that case I would demand Sulfasalazine to try. I would make sure you give it a chance! Meaning take it regular bases even if you feel it is doing nothing. Sounds odd but that med can take a 1 year plus to change the process. I'm living proof.
    M2C - Lyrica is a crazy drug to use regardless of condition unless the nerve pain is in entire body from nerve pain. Small or large Fiber type nerves! I use to believe this drug helped manage my nerve pain and still take it and slowy I'm starting to think this drug is not to be taken lightly. Not meaning your condition but the RX of it. If the Sulfa would eventually work you just confirmed your condition and a TNF could be used and the Sulf discontinued then your not taking the meds. Including the meds your currently taking.
    I'm not a Dr. and this info might help when you go talk to him about it. My intention is to only inform you of other options with a med that has been around since stone ages.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/119084-lyrica-side-effects-muscle-/
  • reesemayrreesemay Posts: 67
    edited 03/05/2013 - 1:15 PM
    I had an injury, and was sent to a orthopedic surgeon, and of course released to go to work the same day...unbelievable.
    herniated disc in lumbar 2-3,3-4,4-5 I had a horrific time trying to sit. So I leaned way far forward onto my hamstrings and OFF my butt, had to sit like this for months, till I could not take it anymore. I dont know what other problems this can cause sitting like this or really how much work you can get done.
    Try checking out that osteopath if you are not still accute. Is it possible to get another opinion?
    If they are offering medications, dont be afraid I know I did not want anything to do with meds, but if you are in pain
    they will not effect you like someone not in pain.

There is so much going on inside your body right now and being in
    constant pain is horrible for your body, for one it raises your cortisol levels and that makes you gain weight, your adreneline is high constantly as well if you are in pain all day and night, then a lot of other stuff goes haywire.

Take the med the doc prescribes and give them a try for at least two weeks or more. Some meds can take up to a month to get into your system. Most of the side effects will wear off. I was taking one med and it made me itch so bad I just about scratched the skin off my arm! You can find creams or another med to counter that then it will subside, just give it time, you just might find the right ones.
    If they offer to give you an opiate, same thing you will not get high from it if you are in pain. Like I said before, maybe take the med when you know you will be at home, say on a weekend or when you dont have to work. That way you can get a pretty good idea how or if it will effect you.
    Another poster said that gabapentin spaced them out too much, I am taking this med for pain at a low dose and it does not space me out. The doses can be adjusted to an amount that you can tolerate. I believe lyrica and gabapentin are very similar
    Good luck finding some relief (that was meant to be positive not sarcastic!)
  • Hi,
    I've had two spinal surgeries within 3 months of each other, the first was a laminectomy on my right side L3,4,5 . March 2013, second in June 2013, spinal fusion L5/S1. I've had tailbone pain throughout the entire process. In fact the whole problem started with increasing tailbone discomfort in Aug. 2012. I was given Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Tramadol for pain. The Gabapentin side effects can be harsh, I was switched to Lyrica. It works a little better but my long winded point is to try Tramadol, I think I get most of my pain relief from that. This conclusion after simple experimentation with dosage adjustments. Tramadol works very well
    BobM
advertisement