Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LOW BACK PAIN

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi, I just found this site and was hoping to get some advise. I have been having low back pain for years, but it's getting much worse. I recently started seeing a chiopractor and told him I think I have one leg shorter than the other ( I have to hem my pants legs different).
Anyway he took some ex-rays and said the problem is one hip is higher (probably due to the short leg) He said it would be easy to fix but would take a while. The pain is getting worse after seeing him 3 times a week for 2 weeks now. The last visit he took more ex-rays, this time of me bending from each side. One side bend is fine the other is stuck he said and it looks like c shape stops and another c shape. this time he expalined that my pelvic is tilted is the problem. I'm so confused with what he said and what I have read. I was thinking of trying a shoe lift because I believe I have a short leg not a functional short leg, but when I asked him about this he said (your body adjust to the short leg) From all I have seen and read the way it has adjusted is the problem, yet he hasnt suggested a shoe lift.
Any advise would be very much appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• and welcome to the forum. You will find great support and understanding from the amazing members here. If you have a family doctor then you may want to discuss this with him\her and see what they have to say about it. See if maybe you need to be referred to someone other than a chiro. I have not experienced the problem that you are having so I can't give too much advice on that but I did want to welcome you and let you know that if there is ever anything that I can do for you then please just let me know. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing. Take care....Miki
  • I was told the exact same thing from 3 chiro's over the last 10 years or so.

Please speak with your pcp about this- you may need a referral.

Good Luck,

Julie
  • Thanks for your replies! I think I do need a second opinion,
    my husband and I are self employed and without insurance at the moment so I have been putting this off.

Julie, you said you were told the same thing? What happened, and how are you doing now?
  • I have been having significant back pain for several months and recently had an MRI. I've received the report but I still have a few weeks before I see the neurosurgeon. The MRI states: "There is mild to moderate thecal sac stenosis at L3-4 with possible bilateral exiting nerve root compromise. At the L4-5 disc space, moderate thecal sac stenosis is appreciated with bilateral exiting nerve root compromise and possible compression on the right. At the L5-S1 level, bilateral neural foraminal narrowing is appreciated with what appears to be bilateral exiting nerve root compromise as well as possible compression."

Can anyone break this down into terms I can understand? Thanks in advance for your help.

• Hear is a link that might help you understand... http://www.uptodate.com/online/content/images/prim_pix/Test_lumSPINAL STENOSIS
    General term denoting narrowing of the spinal canal in the lumbar area leading to nerve root compromise; term often used for developmental abnormality that leaves a narrow, bony canal. There are four subgroups of this condition: achondroplastic stenosis, constitutional stenosis, degenerative stenosis, and combined stenosis.bar_nerve_root_comp.jpg
  • On my first visit with my Pain Management doctor, she measured my legs and fussed with them a bit, and then my hips and asked me if I realized one leg was shorter and that my hips were off balance. Then we moved on and she never mentioned it again. I'd be curious to hear what you find out and if you do follow-up with the shoe lifts and if it helps, so please let us know!
  • Have you ever heard about VAX-D and DRX9000
    decompression therapy
    . It can end the stabbing, burning and shooting pain in your back and legs or neck and arms within a few short weeks.
  • Tinkerz

Welcome to Spine Health. It seems really strange that this chiro cannot stick to the same "problem" being "the problem".

If I were in pain after two weeks of seemingly no progress with a "different problem" showing through ... I'd spend the money to go get a second opinion and new x-rays.

Hope you can find out soon what the real deal is and get on the path to correction.

"C"
  • Tinkerz said:
    Hi, I just found this site and was hoping to get some advise. I have been having low back pain for years, but it's getting much worse. I recently started seeing a chiopractor and told him I think I have one leg shorter than the other ( I have to hem my pants legs different).
    Anyway he took some ex-rays and said the problem is one hip is higher (probably due to the short leg) He said it would be easy to fix but would take a while. The pain is getting worse after seeing him 3 times a week for 2 weeks now. The last visit he took more ex-rays, this time of me bending from each side. One side bend is fine the other is stuck he said and it looks like c shape stops and another c shape. this time he expalined that my pelvic is tilted is the problem. I'm so confused with what he said and what I have read. I was thinking of trying a shoe lift because I believe I have a short leg not a functional short leg, but when I asked him about this he said (your body adjust to the short leg) From all I have seen and read the way it has adjusted is the problem, yet he hasnt suggested a shoe lift.
    Any advise would be very much appreciated.
    I too have a short leg - you need to get an x-ray to diagnose whether your leg is shorter bone wise or because of a rotational problem/injury in your hip. If it is truly a shorter bone (in my case you can see my thighs are not the same length) NO AMOUNT of chiropractic adjustments ALONE will "fix" you - you need to wear a lift to correct it!!
    You need to see someone who will
    1. Xray you from the waist down
    2. Measure your leg bones from top to bottom to see if they are the different lengths.
    3. If your bones are diff lengths, (in my case my right leg by almost a half inch), I was prescribed a "lift" that goes in my shoe.

My leg length discrepancy was discovered only after being x-rayed after a car accident. I then was sent to a Physical Therapist (but an Orthopedic Dr can do it too) who made casts of my feet, and had custom orthotics made ($300 not cheap!) that I wear in my shoes to keep my legs the same length.

If you get lifts you HAVE to wear them all the time - no more can you go barefoot! I wear sandals in the house so I can keep in alignment. (Only place is the shower where I'm barefoot briefly)

I also saw a chiropractor for years and still do, but only when I started wearing a lift consistently have I had any pain relief. I also was prescribed exercises to stretch out my muscles on my short leg (right) side, because since birth my short side has been compensating every time I stand up, causing my spine to shift (scoliosis) and the muscles to bunch up on the right.

Today I stretch every day to the LEFT only, to "take out" the curve in my back, while wearing the lifts of course. You will be AMAZED at the pain relief! You can't ignore this problem and believe me the chiropractor isn't going to admit they can't "fix" you - as mine did - they insisted I was "fine" and they could "adjust" me to fix this - but the pain came back the day after I got adjusted...

INSIST on getting x-rayed & evaluated for "Short Leg Syndrome"!!!!!!! If money is an issue at the very least buy a heel lift like a Dr Scholls lift and glue it into all the shoes of your "short" leg side. The pain relief won't be instant but you can work on stretching out your "kinks" once you get yourself lined up straight.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • I've been trying to get information on this "short leg syndrome". I think it is the root of my spine issues and I just bought some Dr. Scholl's inserts to place in my right shoe. Boy does it feel strange to be finally level!

My chiropractor would adjust me in the past but never gave me a heel lift and told me that my short leg was not anatomical. I have no idea how he came up with this conclusion without having an x-ray done! Anyways, my pain is actually in my neck and shoulders. I only recently started to have lower back pain from 2 herniated discs. Don't really know why I had cervical issues before lumbar? :?
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.