Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

full body bone scan

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
I just had a bone scan checking for bone changes for Arthritis,this was the first one I've ever had and I was scared to death. After I get finished the nurse ask me if I've ever been diagnosed with cancer or had a broken bone, does anyone know if that is just a normal question or should I be more worried than I already am. Someone please help me with this its driving me crazy,the doctor told me to call back in a week.
advertisement

Comments

• I have been a member for a while but have been posting about my L5/SI joint. I've had like 5 epidural injections since last November. The last one finally hit the spot so to speak. We had been focusing on getting my back pain under control and once we got that done this time (at least for now) we started looking into my hands being sore and having knots come up in them and trouble with my feet. He ordered blood work and this bone scan to look at my bones and the movement of them to see if my problem is arthritis.The only thing that scared me was that the question was asked after the scan. I had the test done in my home town and my doctor is about 3o miles away. I'm 39 years old mother of 4 and probably just freaking out over nothing. My husband tells me I get tore up for no reason all the time.Thanks for your help.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey kbishop,
    I have to agree with Paul, I am sure that is a standard question of a bone scan. But I also understand your concern, I think we all worry about things that we should not. If you do indeed find this to still bothering you by all means call your Dr's office for an explanation, I'm sure they will understand your concern and answer any questions you may have.
    Ranger
  • and ask so that you do not worry all week. Do not think that you are being a pest, remember you are paying them so they are working for you! Good luck and let us know what you find out.
  • YES ITS A VERY STANDARD QUESTION!!

i had one done back in 2007 and they asked me the exact same thing so i got scared just like you and i called my dr and asked them. they said that it was a standard question they ask everyone. in fact its a standard question that they ask everyone ESPECIALLY if you are having "uptake-which is basically showing up positive by your bones lighting up on the scan" and that for me just meant that i had degenerative arthritis throughout my whole body cause i lit up like a christmas tree all over. so dont worry about it and dont jump to conclusions ok?

try to have a great day!

karenc
  • I had a full bone scan in June and one of the questions was "Did you have a bad fall?" Even though I said no, she asked me a second time......nothing about cancer though.
  • I was also asked about breaks and cancer; it just helps them clear things up if they see something a bit unusual.

I was thankful I had the bone scan, as it took five months to show that I had broken my sternum (they could see the scar tissue) when I fell the previous summer, and the initial xrays didn't show anything.

If you're really that worried, though, make the call - you're the one who has to live with the anxiety!!

Tracy
advertisement