Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scs or pain pump

motelman99mmotelman99 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Management
whats the differents between scs or pain pump.
advertisement

Comments

• i haven't been on for awhile....i think i'm going to go with the pain pump...the scs has vibration and something like electrical?..if i don't want this pain pump will the pm still take care of me.my back never got better after surgery.now my knee is on bone on bone.my neck hurts too.the surgery on my neck help some.got a shot for my leg 2 mo.ago because my knee hurt and my lower leg was numb.it helped but now its comimg back.my pc dr thinks im depress and wants to give me all kinds of med for depression.i tell him i;m not depress just in alot of pain every day.
  • motelman99,

The SCS does not shock you, LOL ..Gives a good vibration though. There is information your PM will give you regarding both. I hope that you do research these options. They are not a cure but are very valuable in regaining some assemblance of life back. I know the SCS has the trial before implant. (I have implant). Others on the board can give you more information on the pump. Ask questions. Read the websites for how they work and the outcomes of people who have these implants.

I do think that if you decide not to get either one it will depend on what type of PM you are seeing if you can continue. Is your PM offering other therapies? Is PM certified for procedures (anesthesiology) and pain medicine?

Take care,
    O-
  • Thst is the question. I had a stim trial earlier this year that was catastrophic to me. I wound up with a spinal headache and had 2 blood patches done. I was sick for about 2 weeks.
    I had a TLIF around 4 months ago, and still have severe pain. My NS put the option of the stim and pumg on the table if I'm the same in 6 months. He'll probably go with the pump, due to my bad experience with the other.
    The best thing to do is to get all the info you can, and read others experiences with it. There are risks with both, and you may still need oral meds. I heard you still can get nausea and vomiting with a pump, and I'm curious how that can be. I'm glad I have time to think about it, if the times comes.
    I think it would be cheaper to stay on oral pills because the procedures can run you thousands of dollars, and it's reserved as a last resort in most cases. But if it can make a big difference in your pain level, and it can allow you to do things that you couldn't before, then I would take the gamble. Anytime you have any invasive procedure done to your back, you have to know all the risks and probabilities of success. Like doctors say, the benefits should outweigh the risks.
advertisement