Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone - My name is Janine and I am looking at fusion on L5-S1. Had a fall on a boat nearly 3 years ago, chronic sciatica, left leg numbness, weakness and tingling. Have had 2 cortisone injections in the first 12 months with little success. Have managed over past 18 months with anti-inflams and pain relief and have still managed to work fulltime. I have 1 young child, hence haven't had surgery to date but I am now tired of the pain and inability to exercise very well. I have seen 4 surgeons for independent opinions - all agree fusion is required. I am due to see my surgeon next week to discuss surgery again - I am very nervous. I am so scared something could go wrong and I will be worse off and not able to return to work (office based). Keen to hear from anyone who has gone through fusion please. What is the average recovery time from fusion surgery - I have been told anywhere from 6 weeks - 3 months? Thanks heaps :)
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are so wise to be getting various opinions on your back problems. the more information you have the better decision you can make. are you on any nerve pain medications for your leg like Lyrica? i am sure others will be along to help you with your questions. good luck and please keep us informed as you progress. you might read the "Good News" section for some positive information on successful surgeries! Jenny :)
  • Hi Janine,
    Your situation sounds similar to mine. I have had problems for years with a bulging disc at S1. I kept telling myself and others that I would just deal with it until it was an aboslutely necessity to do something about it. Well back in Aug. it got to that point. :( So I went to a neurosurgeon recommended by several friends, he put me out of work, scheduled a mri, physical therapy, and a epidural steroid injection. All the pt did was make it worse, and I only got 1 day of relief from the esi. When I went back for my follow up with doc and told him all that, he told me that my mri showed quite clearly that the disc had basically collapsed and was sitting on the nerve. Gee, that explains the tingling, numbness, and burning down both legs. :S So on Monday I will be having surgery, which will be a laminectomy with fusion at the L5-S1 level. I wish you luck in getting yourself taken care of.
  • Welcome to Spine Health. You sound a lot like someone I know and she is a fighter! Don't let this stuff get you down! Watch out for those slippery pitching boat decks!

Let us know what your surgeon has to say.

"C"
  • Hi!!!
    welcome. I am a new member myself. I have experienced what you have been going through and now on opposite, everyone has there own experiences so it is hard to tell you the right decision. I can only tell you what I go and went through, If you can avoid surgery I would, I had all the same systoms and still have some. I had two surgeries, a microdisectomy, l5s1 and two fusions on l5s1 and l2/3. the first was in 2005 and the next in 2006. I had it cause couldn't walk, I am blessed to be walking don't get me wrong I am beyond lucky and thankful....however I am still experience the most levels on pain on every day basis, out of work for 2 years and have troublee walking up steps. I understand your nervous, scared and confused I have been there but I wished someone would i have told me what I am writing you I might have thought about trying something else or pushing off surgery for as long as possible. I would try accupunture, water therapy, any pain medications or haven't tried and even massage therapy. if the shots don't work by the second one they usually don't but you never know. If you want to private message me you are more then welcome to, and I do wish you good luck in whatever you do.
    Salique
advertisement