Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pharmacist a JERK!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
Been suffering with back troubles for years. Looking at a spinal fusion very soon. My Pain Dr. has me on 20mg Ocycontin CR twice a day, one every 12 hours. I also have Pecocet for breaktrhough pain. I get 60 per month. I took my new script in to my usual pharmacy at Kroger. The pharmacist asked me in a mean condiscending tone, "You take BOTH of these at the same time!" I said yes, that is how they are prescribed by my DR. I told him my condition, not that it was any of his business. He said he would not fill them! I asked why and he said it was too soon and gave me the scripts back. I did the math, my 30 day supply ends tomorrow. He said I could try on Saturday. So I get to suffer till they open and his royal highness decides to fill em. Had em filled there last month!! Never again, switching to another pharmacy...
advertisement

Comments

• I wouldn't take that crap from anyone. I don't know about you, but my insurance company will allow me to pick up my CII meds anytime after 75% of the previous fill is gone. That just means that I can fill at 23 days. So if I go in with a script and all of my scripts have dates on them, but if I go in on the 23rd day of the previous fill, I will get them filled. I don't understand how that worked with you. Even if you have NO insurance at all, you should be able to get it filled on the 28th day. That is just one screwy pharmacist, if indeed he is a pharmacist. A real pharmacist will know that you are going to be paying a visit to our old friend withdrawal after a day or so. That is just plain old mean and nasty. If I may be so bold as to ask, what date is written on your scripts?
  • Wow-what an jerk I'd call the store, speak to the pharmacy management or store management, explain what happened and let them know they lost business because of it. No excuses for that kind of treatment!!

Edited 08/22
    by Ron DiLauro, Administrator Spine-Health
  • Before you go doing anythinsg rash, check into the entire story and try to find out why this (&*#@%^*) guy didn't fill them for you. There has to be some kind of a reason.
  • Both my scrips were originally filled on July 17th. By my calculations, Friday is day 30. After giving me crap about taking both of them together, he said it was "too soon to fill them" and he would not do so. He told me my insurance would "probably" not pay because of this as well? He said to come back on Saturday.
    I have BCBS with excellent Rx coverage. This guy was a total Jack A@@!! There was no excuse for his behavior.
    He made me feel like an ass...
  • I would see the manager and not go without meds for ONE day. There is no excuse for this. I had BCBS last year and they actually over-rode some of my scripts so that I could have them for vacations, etc. Time lapses and such. No excuse for this horse poop!!! He's just playing with you but what he probably doesn't understand is how dangerous it can be to people like us that depend on these meds. Gee, I wonder what he would have done if when he asked you about taking both meds at the same time, you answered no instead of yes? Maybe he would have filled them for you. With my situation, I depend solely on one pharmacy for my CII meds. Nobody else around carries the 15 or the 30 mg Oxy not to mention the 120 mg Avinza. The neighborhood Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, you name it.....Don't have it. When it comes to Pain Meds, these places are so fearful that they won't carry anything stronger than 10 mg Percocet.
  • I went on the corporate website and sent em an email. I described everything that transpired. I am sure they will be calling me with an apology? Big whoop. I have enough meds to get through till tomorrow. I am going to another pharmacy, I made him give me back the scripts. I have no doubt he will be hearing from someone above him about his insensitivity...
  • I know that rude people are a fact of life and it is a waste of breath to try to educate them in manners. I too have a problem paying money for someone to be rude to me.

Hopefully the rude are in the minority in your area and switching to a pharmacy that actually appreciates your cash will help.
  • I'm glad you sent an email! He was totally out of his scope of practice, being judgemental and rude. So why don't ya just take them somewhere else now? Anyway good for you! Not only is it bad business it's wrong to "make" people(us) feel like that.
    Take care!!!!!!!
  • Please let us know what corporate says about this. I would be very interested in finding out what possesed this idiot to do what he did to you.
  • Before you leave for another pharmacist print out this page and leave it in his in box, Maybe he needs to hear from more than one person. At the very least it will make him think twice the next time. :))(
  • Stuff like this is just wrong. I had a Rx faxed over by my doctor, signed etc, and my pharmacist refused to fill it based on the same thing.. 'you're too early, come back on Saturday' he says; it's a Thursday. I come back Saturday, and he refuses to fill it, muttering under his breath things like 'drug addict' and such. I get very frustrated because now I NEED it, and get my doctor on the emergency phone number. My doctor tells the pharmacist to fill it, and he says no, tears up my prescription, and that's that. Things were fixed the next Monday when I visited my doctor in person, got another Rx, and changed pharmacies. Definitely illegal at the least. If it were heart medicine or blood pressure meds or something, we wouldn't EVER be treated this way. It's infuriating. I wish our pain/ortho/etc centers had pharmacies attached; that would be nice.
  • They are reviewing my complaint. All I received was an email so far. I used that pharmacist because it was the closest. Now I go to another one, still a Kroger but this pharmacist is very nice. I told him about his co-worker at the store down the road. He knew him and said his partner had quit and he was stressed because he is the only pharmacist working at the store. Still, not my problem.
  • I changed over to locally owned "mom and pop" pharmacy. They have been great and no condesending looks or attitude when i was taking narcotics. Never had to wait over 15 minutes. They even have a soda fountain like the old-time pharmacies. I will never go to a chain again.
  • Some corporate Bozo called me to apologize. He said he had talked with the pharmacist and he had miscalculated the days? It was a total fluff job. I spoke my peace and that was about all that happened. Doubt if anything happened to the pharm...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,718
    There are good pharmacist and bad ones just like in any profession. But many times people want to blame a pharmacist for not filling a prescription.
    Dates, when a prescription can be refilled is really governed by the Insurance companies. Years ago, I was using the same pharmacist and with Insurance Company AA. I could get refills almost any time after half the time allocated for the original script was done. Now, I switched to Insurance Company BB,using the same pharmacist and I could not fill a new script until the Night before the original one was scheduled to run out. I spoke with this pharmacist and they explained how they need to adhere to different Insurance companies.
    Is it fair? Maybe NOT, especially when you are in immediate need of a refill. I have had that happened to me, and IF its during the Week and IF you have a good doctor, they can write a new script and most of the time that will be honored.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The majority of my Rx's go thru ACME (Sav On). Real nice folks there. Never question me about my meds, etc. In fact they will sometimes offer to try to put them in a day or two early.

When my doc up'ed my script I took it there and they put it thru, they said the insurance company came back and said it can't be filled for a few more days. No problem I said. They said they'd have it ready that morning.

So what I don't get is what does the pharmacist care if the insurance will tell them wether it's time to fill it or not?

Definitely change pharmacies.
  • That guy sounds like an A-hole!!! I was getting 60 percocet a week, and it was just upped to 90 a week, been taking it for 5 months. No one has ever given me a problem, thankfully. Well, aside from family & friends telling me I'm going to get addicted... Lol. You don't get high from narcotics when you've been taking them consistently, but oh well.
  • And they just changed it last week to Oxycodone without the Tylenol, so it's the same amount of narcotics I'm taking, but no tylenol to screw up my liver.
  • What strength of Oxy's you get? I was given a Rx of 5mg pure Oxy and had to call like 5 pharms before I found one that had em in stock. Evidently, the company that manufactured em is no longer doing so? My Dr changed my Rx to Percocet's cause they are easier to find and get filled...
  • I have a question for you all. I am currently taking 15mg of roxycet, every q6h as needed I was taking 5 a day but new PM changed it for now(but thats another topic). I can not use patches as I have adhesive allergies. If I take long acting morphine it messes with my mind.( I could meet you today and tomorrow not remember you). Is there anything else anyone can think of that I can take for pain. I am also on Zanaflex 4 mg q6h for muscle, lyrica 150mg q6h. Thanks for your input. Missy. :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,718
    I assume you are talking about Oxycodone IR.
    Oxycontin ER starts at 10mg as the lowest and works up to a 80mg I believe (I know it has 60mg)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement