Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

just out of surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
hello all, i am jay. i am 31 married. i had neck surgery mon the 12th of aug (2 days ago) and that is why i am here, to ask some question. since this is the intro area i will post my questions somewhere else. glad to be here.
advertisement

Comments

• Wish it was under better circumstances, but this board is a good place to get support.

dixiechick :H
  • Hi Scubajay30 and I hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery. When you feel up to it, I would like to know what kind of surgery procedure you had, how long was it, and was it inpatient or outpatient surgery.
    GOD BLESS TO ALL
    KC
  • to have you. Welcome to SH. I am not a "neckie" but there are plenty members here that are. Am sure you will find the support you are looking for and good luck in your recovery.
  • scubajay- welcome to site and hope you find the answers you need. I have cervical problems and pain (among other stuff). I did not have neck surgery but I did have back surgery. Hope you have a speedy recovery.... :))) jade
  • to SH. I will look forward to seeing you around the forum.
  • I am scheduled for a laminectomy in 1 week. L4 and L5, doesn't know if he will have to do the fusion until he gets in there. Have heard anywhere from 1-5 days hospital stay and 2-6 weeks recovery. The unknown is kind of scary - any tips appreciated. Andrea
  • Welcome to spine Health. Ask away :)

Christina
  • hi Jay, hope your doing good with your recovery,tell us more
    I used to scuba dive,I just loved it, it is like being in a different world down their, have you ever had any scary experiences diving?I have, all of a sudden no air ex hubby finally looked back and we shared to get up, we were only about 45 feet but it seemed like 100, im smiling just thinking about those days,if not for your post i would not even thought about all that fun
    and paulgia you dive too, gee alot of things in common,
  • andrea- welcome also to site. It would be a good idea to get your house ready for the post-op experience including supplies, foods, drinks, linens, clothes, things to do like books, TV, CDs, movies etc.. There are lists here somewhere that can help alot..It would help to have someone to help as it may be difficult to get around as easy. They can get the meds you need post-op as well as you will need a ride home anyway. :-C
    I had to use a walker and I had to get around the house without bumping into anything. And I fell asleep alot and had to take several meds. I) I also had an elevated toilet seat that helped alot.... :))) jade
  • Welcome, you have come to the right place! We wanna know all about ya! We all share and learn from one another!--Mazy
  • Thanks for the welcomes. This is my first surgery on my back - I have fought it for several years but just can't anymore. I am married, 59 years old and have the "cushy" desk job, recruiter for a major company. My doctor hasn't told me much - he said some people go home the same day but with my diabetes and high blood pressure I would probably stay overnight - his nurse said 3-5 days. He also said that some people go back to work in 2 weeks but with my commute, it would probably be 3-4 weeks. His nurse set me up to see him again in 6 weeks so I am getting mixed messages. I have a 45-50 minute drive home from hospital (and work to and from)and now find out I can't ride in car for more than 30 minutes for 6 weeks. So I am really confused about the recovery. I was hoping to be out of the hospital the next day but have decided not to push it. My husband is retired and disabled but is very capable of helping me in all aspects. Will I be in bed most of the time when I come home? I understand no bending, twisting and lifting no more than 10 lbs for 6+ weeks but I was planning on being mobile. Will I need a walker or cane? I have been on some serious pain meds for quite some time, waiting to get into surgeon so am also concerned about controlling pain after surgery. Right now I am on 100mg of fentenyl patch and 30 mg of percocet daily and it isn't even completely taking care of pain. I was told that I will probably have instant relief but a different kind of pain. Any thoughts? Thanks again for the help and concern. Andrea
  • Welcome to the forum and i can only tell you both what i did and how i am doing so far!!

I was in the hospital for back surgery for a week! They had me using a walker four days after surgery and for three weeks after going home! I switched to a cane because it was alot easier for me to get around!!

I walked my way out of the hospital because i didn't want to be handicapped any more the i had to! I walked everyday from three to six times a day while in the hospital!

Needless to say, i walked alot after going home which really worked wonders for my recovery! The first two weeks my sister stayed with me and prepared my meals which did not need cooking because she is handicapped herself so i didn't want to make things hard for her!

I wash my hair in the shower because i'm not allowed to bend over the sink anymore. I feel that i'm doing great unless i do something i'm not supposed to! I had tumor surgery eight months after back surgery so that is setting me back just a little!

I'm five months post op from tumor surgery and i'm getting better each and every day!!

Lots of luck to you both!

Evelyn >:D<
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Thanks,Evelyn. I think what you describes may be a little more realistic than what I was expecting or hoping for. I don't like being incapcitated at all so I know this will be a difficult time for me. I'm still going in with the hopes of going home in a day or two and back to work in 6 weeks. I will be able to work from home some, thanks to a lap top and a very understanding boss! Were you able to dry your hair with a hair dryer or not lift your arms up for any length of time. Of course I am experiencing that now but was looking forward to being able to do it without the pain. My plans are to also do some oil painting while I am off, haven't felt like doing that for a while. My life now consists of leaving for work at 6AM and working until 2 or 3 then come home, take some pain pills, go to bed, get up to eat, take some more pain pills and go back to bed for the night. I get up at least 5 times in the middle of the night hurting so am hoping for some relief on that part. Was the pain of the surgery any worse than the pain of the DDD and stenosis? My main goal is to be able to work my regular 9-10 hour days and then come home and work in my yard. I would really like to plant some more tulip bulbs this fall - may have to have my family do it for me this year.
  • Hi all. I am new to the community. I have had back and neck problems for over 4 years since a motor vehicle accident. I have had cervical discecotomy, cervical epidural injections (which made all my neck and shoulder muscles lock up). Finally in 06 had a C5-6,6-7 fusion done. Level C6-7 didn’t take and in 9/07 had a posterior revision done with screws and cages plus bone from my hip. (My hip hurt the worst). 1/07 had a L3-4 fusion with cage, plates and screws. Procedure was to be 3 hours took 6 ½ hours. 2 weeks after surgery wound up with multiple DVT’s and PE’s plus pneumonia. Was back in hospital for 2weeks and almost died. I still have pain in my neck with headaches (human barometer). My low back is causing me to have pain in the back, down to hip and across the front of my thigh. Neurosurgeon wants to do epidural injections. He says that I had a bad reaction before due to who gave them to me and I’ll be fine. I am very nervous about it. My problem now is that I just moved and the new pain management doc that I went to decided he wanted to see how I would do on a lower dose of medication. Well so far NOT good. Called to see if I could get in earlier and staff told me he wouldn’t move appt up! Any ideas??
  • :) missyg, i see this is your first post and i want to welcome you to the forum! you have had your share of problems that is for sure. please don't run out of medication! you would really feel worse. if you are having doubts over your injections i would suggest you see another doctor!!! your gut feelings could really mean something. check out the "Pain Injection" forum here and see if that gives you any more insight! good luck and please keep us posted. Jenny :)
  • Well, tomorrow is my surgery day-right now I am just anxious to get it over with. Wish me luck! I think I am ready, just don't know if I am ready to stay home for 6 weeks! I am hoping to feel so much better that I will really be itching to get to work! Will post when I get home! Andrea Day
  • Hi Andrea,

Wishing you all the best for your op tomorrow, we are all thinking of you and wishing you all the best for your recovery.

Luv Danni xxxx
  • I got home yesterday afternoon. Had the surgery Friday morning and stayed until Tuesday afternoon. Wouldn't let me walk until the next day. It was fairly severe pain but managable as I knew there would be an end to it soon. Still have some pain in my butt and down my legs but doesn't go as far down as it has pre surgery. My husband has been amazingly helpful - he is handicapped also. It was a really long ride home, about 1 hour and had done an MRI before leaving the hospital. Between the MRI and the long ride, yesterday was a rough day. I slept last night like a baby, never woke up once and was still in the same position in the morning as I started out. Had trouble getting up after laying there for that long! Thanks for all the tips last week, coming home was much easier with all of your help. Andrea
advertisement