Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello everyone- I am new

4jkasper44jkasper Posts: 231
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Just a quick back ground. I have had 3 surgeries the last 15 months.I now am fused from c3-c7 with a titanium plate.I had to stop working July 31st due to pain issues. I am just trying to figure out how significant my fusion is or am I being a baby?I try really hard not to let it keep me down but it has been very hard Feed back would be appreiated
advertisement

Comments

• You are not a baby at all. Three surgeries and C3-7 is a pretty major deal. I have had fusion to L4-5 and then recently to C4-5. Doc said he had people back to work as early as 2 weeks after cervical. So, all my competitive nature heard was back to work after 2 weeks. I did not go back to work for 5 weeks and still had some pain spring rite back up as soon as I got there.

I found this site while recouperating and that was my 1st question as well. Am I a baby, why am I not better by now?
    Your surgery is a pretty major one and the fact that you have been through 3 in 15 months is a big deal.

You did not mention your age or what you do for a living. I am pain free today (mostly) if I am careful but I have a desk job and work from home, get up and move, whatever it takes when I need to. I turned 51 last week. This past surgery really took alot more out of me then I expected. Not like having stitches when you were a kid. I am just now really getting back to my old energy levels but it feels as if I have had to pull myself out of a pit to do it.

Hope you hang around and enjoy the support here. There are alot of cervical spinies here that will offer that for you.
  • Hello 4jkasper,
    Welcome to spine health. I have to agree with Paul, your surgery was very significant. I had 2 surgeries in 4 months can only imagine how one would feel with 3 in 15 months. I had my first surgery in November of 07, and my second one in March of 08 and am still recovering from both of them. It does take a long time for our bodies to heal, it is major surgery. Most of my pain is gone, but I still have numbness in my left arm/hand. It does seem to be taking a long time, but it seems to improve as time goes by. Hang in there things do get better.

mark
  • all spine surgery is a big deal, this is hitting me more and more as I re-enter the everyday world. just the look on people's faces when I tell them I had my throat cut open - priceless. though it's hard to explain the pain to someone who hasn't been there - I wouldn't have imagined it could be so bad, so constant, for so long. but on the other hand, I was almost giddy with happiness yesterday - which I finally realized was for no reason other than I felt really great for a change. amazing how one's perspective can alter ...

hang in there!
  • I had ACDF at levels 5/6 and 6/7 sixteen days ago. I wore a hard neckbrace till yesterday when the NS said I could take it off and start PT. I still have terrible pain across my shoulders and in the back of my neck. I read the previous posts on this thread and was thinking the same thing - is something wrong with me? why so much pain? the NS acted like everything is fine, surgery went well, and when i asked why still so much pain, he said "your neck is sore." this isn't soreness, it's pain !
    I have sprung back quickly from other surgeries (oral, some female surgery, ect.) so am baffled.
    tia for any info or support.
    lbm1
  • hey lbm1, I thought that I was so incredibly healthy, had barely ever had a sports injury (let alone a back problem), so I would be mended in no time. apparently for me, "no time" is like a year. but I am game, as long as mending is in my future. fusion is a hugely traumatic event in your body - all sorts of pieces trying to fit together again in a way they were not supposed to. and healing not going on in, say, your toe, but next to your spinal cord of all things. so definitely keep in touch with your doctor re severe pain, but know that it continues through the healing process for a lot of us.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.