Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Corpectomy, transversectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures
I was in an auto accident 15 months ago and had a burst compression fracture of T12. After waiting this long for it to heal, surgery has been recommended. I'm trying to find people who have had a corpectomy or transversectomy of a thoracic vertebra who could give me some advice. The doctor says 60-75% of patients have significant improvement after this surgery. I was hoping the number would be higher. I've heard it is a brutal surgery and a long recovery. I'm just not sure I want to live with this pain for the rest of my life - I'm only 47. This is not a disc surgery, it is replacing the vertebrae, so please don't respond if you have had disc surgery.
advertisement

Comments

• Hello, This is my story...don't freek out but I'm very pissed off to have been lead down then garden path so to speak!

I had a Corpectomy 6/25/2008 after being told I was crazy and shut up and just live with it. (A vertebrae removal) at T12 resulting from an single vehicle roll over MVA 4/21/2007. I was totally mistreated and undiagnosed from the start. Mine was a Burst FX and he just watched me get worse and worse. Since we live very rurally they should have taken me to a trauma center. He said nothing could be done. He even refused to provide a Clam Shell during hospitalization and provide any pain medication. At 3 weeks he wamted me to start timmy crunches.He thought I'd do better entering a pain program!(You know the addict type???) Even with me being an RN Catastropic Case Manager I was broke my Cardinal rule of ALWAYS getting all your complete copies of your medical and radiological records to see if if they all correlate. Nothing was diviuldged to us. All records are your rights Do not settlefor any less. They are your property.They cannot deny you or put you off with some excuse. ALL UNSTABLE or Spinal Cord inpingment must be treatd immediately. You should be told the consequenses of the lengthy post operation recovery.
    Since they had to chisle out out sll the fused pieces around the Tl2 cord about 20+ pieces and replaced it with a titaniun basket and rods called an Anterior/Postrior approach side snd back incisions. What should have taken
    6 hours took 13 hours. If done immediately the shards would have been unfused and workable. In stead they were fused.
    Yes,it is painful, but, in the right hands you should do great! Being hubched over the rest of my life was not an option, I'm 55, and have a lot of stuff to still do. Helping others make their way through the medical maze. Enough of this talk! Do you have a neurosurgeon? Personally, I would not continue with the same Surgeon. I have been very depressed over trusting professionals to take care of me as I have done for over 37years. Thank you for being there with your blog today. Please let me know what you are going to do(-:. In all my years of nursing I had never heard of of vertebrae removal. Mine is a 1st with this basket to replace the vertebrae from Canada. Keep me posted. Barbara bretbarb@gotsky.com
  • I had a 2 level cervical corpectomy in November of 2007. I have the Harms cage and plates and screws in place of C5-C6. It has worked great with a quick recovery and no problems. Not sure how well this relates to Thoracic surgery.

Paul M.