Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

put on the operation room table wrong.

motelman99mmotelman99 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
when i had my double lam on 5-30-08 when i woke up my knee and the side of my leg was numb.anyway my neuro said he didn;t know why it was numb.was sent to a pain dr, and had a mri done on my leg.thats when he said my knee was on bone on bone.and he said because they put me on the table wrong for 2or3 hours.the pain dr thinks i need a scs but i think a pain pump would be better.has this ever happen to anyone on here.gee now i have to get my knee fix.i think my neuro should pay for it.don;t know what to do.
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Motelman,

I am really sorry you are having all these problems. If I were you, I would obtain a surgery report either from the surgeon's office or from the hospital. I would than show that to another surgeon and ask his opinion. My surgery report includes the description of the operating table called Jackson table. I looked it up in the internet and it reassured me that it is the right table to use during my kind of surgery.

Good luck in your quest. Hope you will find a resolution.

Kin
  • Sorry to hear about your additional problems. I have to agree with Paul. I see no reason why your NS would be responsible. Also with the number of spine surgeries you have probably walked wrong for years causing more pressure on your knees. But could never guess how a surgeon does a lami and someone causes a bone on bone problem in the knee. Hope you start feeling better soon.
  • Sorry to hear you still have problems.
    It looks as if you have had a lot of them over the years.
    I know that I had very sore knees after my surgery and the O/S said that because I was on the table over 12 hrs it puts a lot of pressure on the knees. They do place gel pads under the knees (kneeling position)but after times these thin out. (did get better after about 8 weeks)
    Also it is not the surgeon that puts you on the table. It is usually the theatre staff and anestheist that do that then the surgeon comes in and does his thing. But really you must have had problems to start with for it to be bone on bone.
    Keep thinking posititve and I'm sure things will imporve for you.

Sara
  • I had my knee replaced last year - bone on bone for 5 years. I realize that the bad back and back surgeries may have masked the knee pain somewhat, but the surgeon didn't cause your knee to be so bad.

In my opinion,knee surgery - painful as it is - doesn't compare to back surgery. At least with the knee I could sit without drugs being taken.

Good luck and sorry you are in so much pain.
  • ...is what most NS use or they often put a Wilson frame over a regular OR table to position you in proper form for a posterior surgery. There are pads under your upper shoulders (clavicles) and hips---your tummy hangs free--& often your knees are in a kneeling or semi-kneeling position, which can cause some post-surgery knee discomfort (my kneecaps were both swollen after my PLIF)along w/ some hip pain, as your hips are "opened" a bit to allow better access to your lumbar area. (I learned all this from a helpful RN after my surgery---they don't tell you much b4!)The RN called it the "flexed-prone" position & said they use that for most PLIF's, lammys & micro's etc. She said she always feels sorry for having to put her patients into that position---"it looks soooo uncomfortable" she said & I agree, altho WE are blessedly knocked-out! :)

It's a very uncomfy position & takes the team about 20 min to get you all prepped...and b/c you are face-down, the endo tube can cause more-than-usual throat soreness which you feel afterwards too. I tried to remember that they are doing all this for my safety...they want the best result too, & no law-suits, etc...but the 3rd time I did ask them to REALLY pad my hip areas, as I'm thin & after my 2nd surgery, I was all banged-up & black/blue along the hipbone areas. So they did & tho my PLIF took over 4 hrs, I had just the usual post-op tight/stiff/sore stuff from the position afterwards & most of it abated in about 2 weeks.

It's just brutal surgery...your whole body takes quite a beating, inside & out....I hope your knee improves & that your lammy pain is less, also. Good luck & stay in touch!

~Lakeside
  • The "bone on bone" in your knee did not come from being placed on the OR table wrong. That was a condition you had PRIOR to your surgery. Laying a certain way may have irritated your knee but it definatly wouldnt be the surgeons fault.

Christina :)
advertisement