Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jpntd00jjpntd00 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello there, I am fairly new to the site. I have been reading a lot of post but this is my first. I am 32 and have been fighting my back pain for about eight years now. the first couple was not so bad and I never had a thought about surgery. That was until about two years ago when my leg started to go numb and tingle. At that point I started the MRI's. Initially found that I had DDD in the L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 region. Over the next two years I went trough three sets of blocks, physical therapy and lots of drugs. Last year after a major episode I had MRI's and went to see two different NS's. One said lets see what the blocks do ant the other said he could do nothing. That was frustrating. Well back got a little better, but still hurt daily. I had another major flareup in July, went to the doctor, got shots, got MRI's and off to see a third NS. This time though I knew something had to be done. My doc told me the findings and it was not good this time. He said that now, L2-L3 and L3-L4 looked better, L4-L5 stayed the same, but my L5-S1 was bad. Last year it was herniated out the center. This year however, worse out the center and now badly out the right side, great I thought. So on to surgery I go.
Jason
microdiskectomy in August 2008, L5-S1, Right hemilaminotomy with medial facetectomy and microdikectomy L4-5, June 2009, redo right L4-5 microdiskectomy, September 2010
August 6, 2013 - Three level ADR, L3-S1, Spinal Kinetics M6L done in Germany.
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to read about your problems. They sound familiar to mine. Have you had flexion extension xrays? If you haven't you might want to ask your NS/OS about getting them done.

If they re planning surgery it would make sense to cover all of your bases.

My flex/ ext xrays showed real problems that the MRI, CTscan and normal xrays did not show.

Good luck,

Julie
  • Hello everyone,

I am a 32yr old stay at home mom of three (ages 4,6,8 ), married for over 11 years. We currently live in Washington, we will be moving to Germany late this fall. My husband is in the Army.
    I have been dealing with pain in the coccyx for over a year after falling while redoing hardwood floors. I use a nylon donut and a rubber one too, although they don't offer much relief. I now have lower back pain from sitting with most of my weight on one hip or the other! I also sit propped on my side, more of a leaning position. I don't think many realize who much being able to sit in any chair is over looked. I look at chairs now with dread, wondering how am I going to sit without hurting my rump too much.
    The hardest thing for me is having some family who don't believe my pain is real. That there are nothing that could be done about it, and that I just have to live with it. I have had this for over a year, and I don't want to continue living with this pain.
    I am glad that I came across this site, and am hopeful for some support from others who understand.

- Coccydynia (tailbone pain) - Slight dislocation.
    - X-rays, MRI, and more X-rays.
    - Nothing muscular, nothing neuro, slight dislocation
    - Trazadone (insomnia), being weaned from Effexor XL to Welbutrin (depression and possible pain relief). I stay at home and can't handle the stronger stuff with small shildren.
    - April 2007, re-doing the floor in daughters bedroom, husband removed the floor vent, I stepped in it and fell directly on my tailbone, on the hard wood floor! Have just dealt with the pain! My husband deployed to Iraq a month later, so no one really heard me complain. When he returned in May '08, he got tired of hearing me complaining about my pain, and told me to go to the doctors.
    - Got first corticosteriod injection this morning! (8/14/08). (Have questions for those who have had these before)
    - PCP and Orthopedics

• Yeah had all that done and had a MD L5-S1 on the 11th. Doing okay, still in pain and numbness remains, can't lay flat on back, hurts too bad but not from incision. So taking from other posts, this may remain for a couple of weeks, will see how it goes though.
    Jason
    microdiskectomy in August 2008, L5-S1, Right hemilaminotomy with medial facetectomy and microdikectomy L4-5, June 2009, redo right L4-5 microdiskectomy, September 2010
    August 6, 2013 - Three level ADR, L3-S1, Spinal Kinetics M6L done in Germany.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am very sorry to hear you are having severe pain! i would ask if you have gotten a second or even third opinion? it is always wise when you are dealing with the possibility of surgery. it is very frightening to think of having pain pain forever. i have been a chronic pain patient for over 20 years and can tell you that life does go on. please look around and make yourself at home! good luck! Jenny :)
advertisement