Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain between shoulder blades

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi all,

Went camping last week and the last few day my middle back between the shoulder blades tightened up really bad and now I have pain there daily and it sometimes radiates to the front of my chest.

I have had this on and off in my life, but this is the worst it's been.

I really notice it when I take a deep breath in. Last night I went for an hour walk and the whole time my middle back ached and I felt it in the chest as well. Then I got a headache by the time I got back.

Went to the chiropractor a couple days ago and no relief.

Any ideas of what this could be?
advertisement

Comments

• Can you set up an appointment to discuss your concerns that it may be something other than acid reflux and that those meds don't take care of it.

"C"
  • I'm going to see my Naturopath in a couple hours, but I may go back to see my physician as well.

Unfortunately, here in Canada, you just can't book an MRI or a Cat Scan without the doctor exhausting the use of drugs to take the pain away...hence the acid med's.

I have asked her to please consider endoscopy and she said no and even if she did...would take over a year to get in.

I feel that going back to her will just end up with another perscription.

BUT when I do go see the naturopath today, I will look at possibly getting an MRI, catscan or endoscopy through a private clinic. ($3000++).

So frustrating.
  • Sorry to hear how frustrating the system is for you. I hope that your Naturopath can help you out today.

Keep us posted.

"C"
  • I went to my NP yesterday. Having told her my symptoms, she said that my spine was in spasm (hence the throbbing stabbing pain). She said when the mid back in particular goes into spasm, the nerves are not functioning properly. She said this can cause reflux, digestive problems, heart palps, etc. (all of which I have).

She gave me six injections of a natural muscle relaxant along the area that is in spasm. Today I have no pain or discomfort! I will continue with these treatments over the next couple of weeks and in the meantime start doing exercises to stregnthen that area so this won't keep happening.

Let's hope this is the end of my pain.

Deb
  • Hi DG, I am so glad you have got some relief from your spasms. I suffer from horrible spasms in my thoracic spine, and the pain is excruciating. My GP has prescribed me diazepam as a muscle relaxant and it does help.
  • Deb,

What was in the injections? I have been suffering middle-upper back pain for over 8 months. Had an MRI and it just showed a slight bulging disc. Doc won't give me anymore pain meds which is okay as they stopped working. Glad you have found some relief.

Angel,

At my last doctors appointment I got in to an arguement with my doctor over whether diazepan helped muscle spasm's. He said no it did not and I said yes it did. I told him it was a muscle relaxant. He said well maybe it might help because you have dulled the brains senses but it is not used as a muscle relaxant. Jeez he pissed me off.

He won't even let me start physical therapy untill I am totaly off of valium. I think that's riduculous. He thinks my head is clouded from the valium. I wasn't taking that much to begin with and I am down to 10 mg a day and the only reason I don't quit completely, which I could, is that it does help with the back spasms.

This whole thing is making me crazy.
  • Hi Suziee,
    Well, at least my GP got that right. It is a muscle relaxant, though it does cloud your head a bit, but it does help.
    Living with this pain makes me crazy too.
  • Actually, I'd be interested to know what's in these too.
  • Going back for another injection on Monday, I'll ask my NP and let you know!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,717
    I would have to think that because of the sheer number of injections that has been give, they would have to be trigger point injections, which is basically a lidocaine type of treatment. I have had good luck with these and I think many times I have had better luck with trigger point injections then I did have with Epidural Spinal injections (ESI)
    Anything that can help reduce the flare up or immediate pain is so important. That can give your body some time to start to repair itself. These injections may not be the cure all, but if they provide you with enough relief they are valuable.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I would think that's more likely with a naturopath. My naturopath in Vancouver, B.C. specializes in chronic pain control, and he was well trained in prolo. It can give some drastic improvement, depending on the situation, and is a combination of dextrose and lidocaine; sometimes they use a bit of cod liver oil as an extra "irritant", as the irritation is what makes the process work and start creating scar tissue.

I can sympathize with you, DG....my spine has been in spasm for about five days now, so I know that awful stabbing when trying to take a deep breath, etc....it's NOT pleasant!! I've been laying on tennis balls, magic balls, getting massages from anyone who will give me one...but it just won't go away.

I have had to take extra muscle relaxants over the past few days to try and keep them at bay, and am going for physiotherapy again. I have a lot of my joint pain under control, but the muscle pain can be miserable.

Take care, and hopefully you can step back for a couple of days and see if those muscles relax for you. Glad to hear you had such success with your NP!

Tracy

P.S. I don't know where you live, but when I paid for my own lumbar MRI, including SI joints, it was only $1,000.00 in Kelowna, B.C.

• Injection ingredients:

Vitamin B12
    Procaine (dental anesthetic)
    Spascupreel (homeopathic antispasmadic)
  • I start off great in the morning with no mid-spine pain and then as the day progresses it starts to build up and by evening its the worst.

Anybody else?
  • I start off great in the morning but it only lasts an hour or so. It seems that after I have had my shower is when the pain starts. The shower feels wonderful but I hurt afterwards. I'm not sure if this is because of the shower or it is because thats when I am doing my hair and makeup.

I also have good days and bad days. Like yesterday was a pretty good day, pain stayed down to a 2 or 3 and now today I would have to say its a 7 or 8. Maybe I just to much on my good days.
  • edited 09/04/2015 - 8:07 AM
    My Doctors have been chasing my pain for almost 10 years now. I'm 56 in construction still and live with the pain almost every day, things I've had done with no success to relieve the pain.
    2007- stint
    2010 -Angiogram found nothing
    20012- 3 level fusion in my neck
    2015 -Gallbladder removal 3 weeks ago
    All of the above was due to my middle back/ chest pain described just like in post (pain between shoulder bladed) I'm post- op 3 weeks form gallbladder removal and the pain is back after being gone for a week. Again the pain comes and goes 2 days I'm fine then 5 days in pain. I go to bed just to relieve the pain , I wake up I'm feeling like a new man then about 9 or10 am it states up again and by the evening I'm in pain. The only thing that helps is to lie on my back flat and relax. Any ideas out there? The Doctors cant figure it out.

Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.