Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frustrations with Prescriptions

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
Hi everyone!

Today I saw my DO hoping she'd finally advance me to some narcotic meds. Instead she tripled my dosage of Tramadol. She also ordered a C6 Nerve Root Block Diagnostic. My neurosurgeon agrees and wants that too.

I am awaiting a 4 level cervical spine acdf due to disc bulging, nerve impingement from spurs and I'm not sure what all.

In the meantime the pain in my shoulders and arms has increased enough the Tramadol and Lyrica are not enough. Frustrating!

:''(

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Bummer. Did you emphasize to her that the meds just aren't enough?
  • with C. Comes a time when we just have to tell doc that we are tired of dealing with pain 24/7 and just want some relief.....no matter how tough we think we are.
  • my friend , I am so sorry that you still have no relief at all. I have to also agree with C and Ben , you may need to really stress to your doctor that these two meds just aren't cutting it. Please keep us posted with what all happens and more importantly , how you are doing.....Miki
  • Paul,

Very good point about pain management post op. If this doc is so shy with the drugs before surgery, post op will be a nightmare.

Another thought. Some of my docs have a printed out list of drugs that they will prescribe to their patients. They use it as a way to "show" their patients what they do or do not believe in. Ken, maybe you should ask the DO what pain meds she is used to dispensing to her patients.

Hang in there!

"C"
  • The doctor prescribing the pain meds is my DO (spine doctor). The surgeon is a different person. All the surgeon has done so far is gone over my CT and MRI with me. He did order a selective nerve block of my C-6 Nerve Root.

I think this surgeon only prescribes meds post-op. My DO has been managing my meds pre-op. I think she might be hesitant to offer something stronger than the tramadol/lyrica because of my diabetes. I'm not sure. So far all she has done is increase the dosage of tramadol. She did say to call back if this does not help.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • and let them know it is not working. Be sure to give it a couple days and STRESS the fact that you are in intense pain. If you have had pain meds before let her know what has worked for you in the past. Let her know you restrictions for the day, what makes the pain worse and what helps if anything(i.e. sitting, laying, walking etc.). The reason why I say wait a couple days is because they might come back and say that you haven't allowed enough time for the higher dose to enter your system. But yes be sure to call and let them know just how much pain you are having. I think all of us tend to understate our pain. I don't know why we do this, probably because we don't want to believe it ourselves. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Mel
advertisement