Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks + Post Op, NS apt today

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm just back from my 3 week post op apt. with my NS.

He said I looked great, and looked to be doing much better than he had expected. I agree, I think I am doing great too :)

That said, I still have FULL restrictions:

-The less I sit, the happier he will be.

-He really does not want me driving, really really. But if I just absolutely have to, well, think twice about it and don't.

-No BLT (bending, lifting, twisting)

-I am to walk LESS. He does not want me to be exhausted at the end of the walks. I had been doing 30 minutes 2-3x a day. He suggested 20 min. instead.

He did take off the steri-strip tape and I can see the wonderful incision. I love that there are no stitches on the outside, makes for a nice smooth line.

I am going to try some valium instead of Robaxin and/or Roxicodone. And just at night when I can't get my legs to stop the aching.

In 6 weeks I'll have a follow-up with X-rays to check on the fusion.

I am still looking at 3 months before I can consider going back to work or starting PT, of course that all depends on the rate of fusion and could change on my next apt.

One thing I am irritated about: I FORGOT to ask if he has any idea why my numb right leg is so much warmer than my left!! I feel dumb wanting to call tomorrow and ask, like it's not a big deal, not like it affects my healing or anything. I'm just PO'd that I would forget.
advertisement

Comments

• p.s.

It's completely normal at this stage to be easily exhausted and feel wiped out.
  • Salty, That is great news that your Dr is happy with you, and yes -do as he says. I know I was able to drive after 6 weeks but even though I wanted to I didn't rush straight out and do it. We have to remember that just braking puts pressure on our spines.
    After my op I had 10 days in hospital then 2 weeks in rehab which was go, go go. Each day started at 7am and I had several physio appointments, hydrotherapy, occupational therapy, spine care classes oh and walks. I even phoned family and friends to say dont come and visit because I dont have time to see you.
    When I got home I swear that apart from going to physio and walking I slept for 14 hrs a day! I had soo much sleep to catch up on after rehab lol

Blessings Sara

• Funny....MY right leg and foot is also warmer than my left! My pt told me that I was not getting enough circulation in both of me feet and that is why they are cold to the touch (even when I am hot).
  • That everything is going so well for you. >:D<

Keep up the good work,
    Christina :)
  • Cool Salty- I don't get to see my NS until Sept 25th and will also get to see xrays of my fusion.

Julie
  • Salz, reading your post, I'm amazed at your courage & re-bound ability---!! Two back surgeries in two days....! And you are conherent, walking around and sound in great spirits! You sure went thru a lot---way too much---and now deserve an "uneventful recovery", as they say, lots of time to rest/restore your strength and just heal up!

Sounds like you have a conservative doc, also: so listen to him, don't BLT, take it easier, rest a lot, and keep thinking positively! Enjoy that beautiful incision--and may it remain CLOSED UP now forever! :)

All the best! Keep us posted on the future appt--it's always so exciting to see those x-rays!

BTW: I'm 7 months out & still have a lot of leg numbness/tingling/muscle aching. Guess it goes w/ the territory! But do watch it if gets worse, etc. MY NS said it was nerve-realated stuff & nerves are real slow to heal.

~Lakeside
  • I hear you Lakeside, on the nerve stuff - yeow! I had a rough rough night last night. I guess muscle relaxants just don't do the trick when it's nerves that are acting up. I just can't seem to get my legs to get rid of that ultra-exhausted-to-the-point-collapse feeling.

I think I'll give them a week and then call the Dr. if I think I need something besides tylenol and valium.

Julie - you are going to see on your fusion before me - but not that far apart, it'll be cool to compare. I'm taking my camera and I'll be snapping some photos to post :)

Shay - you've got the skin temp thing too? I'm glad I'm not alone, I was starting to think I was all alone on that.

Oh, and thanks Christina, now if only we could be healed enough to drive huh ;)
advertisement