Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 months post op - grinding pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I'm new here, although I have been reading the posts for 6 months or more and have found them VERY helpful!

I'm six month post op after a decompressed disectomy in Feb 08. I had a hernitated disk (L4 I think) and some stenosis too.

I have been doing quite well and I'm back at work full time and doing some swimming and pilates. I can't say I'm at full strength but the improvement is vast!

My problem is sitting - at home on my sofa and in the car. I don't think the seating position is correct and I experience what can only be described as a grinding pain in my back. It feels like the bones are rubbing together if that makes sense. It is relieved by getting up and walking about.

Does anyone else experience anything simialr? Any ideas what this is or what I can do about it? (I have a new sofa on order but it won't arrive for 12 weeks yet!). My doctor has not been very helpful #o

Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Sue
advertisement

Comments

• After my surgery sitting was the thing that took longest to get easier. This is a real problem for me now that my hardware has failed. I have a contoured lumbar support cushion which I originally bought to use in my car. I use it on everything now and it really helps to support my back and it makes it more comfortable. I also have a couple of those cylindrical beanie pillows which I have on my sofa to give me more support. Hope that helps! :)
  • Yep, sitting can be the hardest thing to get used to . I know I am like a jumping bean. Every time an Advert come on the TV I get up even if I dont need to, but at least I dont get the sitting pain if I do that.
    I also use those roll up coshions on the lounge seat and I bought a single 3inch firm foam cushion (cut to measure) to put underneath the chair cushion. it make it a lot firmer and a much better height to get up from.
    My car I also have a cushion on the seat and adjust it each time I get in before I start driving.

Also Sue, you mentioned that you are doing pilates- now is the instructor a physiotherapist? I ask because my neighbour is now teaching this and she has no qualifications or understanding of anatomy. All she has done is 6 week personal training course and for me that is not enough.
    So check the instructors qualifications as you dont want what you are doing to make your back worse.

Blessings Sara
  • Sitting for too long makes mevery sore, especially on the left hip side. I have to continually move around. A contoured lumbar support cushion sounds like a good Idea. I might try that myself. Thanks Spicey.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Thanks so much for your replies. I will look into the contoured lumbar support as that sounds like a great idea.

Re the pilates, I actually go for my first session tomorrow and it's with a trained physiotherapist who is also a qualified pilates instructor. To start off with i am having private one on one lessons as i too thought it very risky to go to a general pilates class with an 'unknown' instructor. I'm not a fan of pilates but have been told its good for me by too many people to ignore. And if it stops me ending up in hospital again I'm all for it }:)

Wish me luck,
    Sue
  • Hi,

I used to do pilates several years ago and they are so wonderful for the stretching and are low impact. Just make sure that you do the modified positions for people that have neck and back problems so that you don't hurt anything further.

As far as the grinding noise, I have that too, seems worse now after my ALIF fusion on L4/L5 with cages. I have mentioned this to my doctor and my pain mgmt. doctor, but neither gave it the time of day. From some net research, I found comments about the sounds being from the facet joints clicking together. I know from my MRIs for me from L1 to S1, my facet joints are degenerated, so I guess they do rub. As far as my fusion, my NS said that the facets would fuse together over time and make things stronger. I was concerned about joint movement since the facets are what holds the joints together tight on the sides. Also, if you have stenosis, narrowing anywhere, the bones would bump.

It all makes me nervous over what those grinding noises really are doing inside of us....over time, it would seem like it wouldn't be a good thing. Mine don't hurt that much except when walking.

Let me know if you find out more.
advertisement