Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
I just had L5-S1 fusion on Aug.1, 2008. Before that I had 2 lumbar epis to relieve the pain that my left sciatic nerve was giving me all the way down my leg. I had a bone spur going into my sciatic nerve along with the L5 compression. My back surgery lasted about 4 hours and I lost 4 units of blood. They were able to give me 2 units of my own blood back but I needed 2 units from the blood bank. My back was cut halfway down and I have staples (which I don't feel). I am glad I had the surgery done because the pain down the left leg was becoming unbearable. My doctor told me I would be off work at least 3 months. If feels wonderful to have feeling in that leg again! :) I still have some back pain which is post operative. My ankles were swollen after I got home and my doctor told me to walk more. I also have a sensation of water feeling in my back after I get out of bed and it is in my buttocks after I get up from sitting down. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks alot.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi , Posterior fusion L5/S1. I hate Syatic Pain it hurts so much. I am 18 weeks Post Surgery and trying to come off Opietes but no success just now . I have a flair up of pain right now and it is very dis-couraging.It just drives me to distraction. The Neuro-surgeon reckons I have a lot of scar tissue on my sciatic nerve. I really sympathise with anyone that has this terrible pain , I really understand. Wish I had a magic wand. Hope they can treat your pain guys. I just have to wait it out for the moment !
  • well heres one from the male side people. hope there,s some helpsters out there. had surgery 08-04-08. left leg pain is gone but do get the jimmy legs at night. back is weak but no pain just some discomfort when laying certain positions.my problem is i have a numbness in my left buttock near my fistula that seems to extend to my penis. can get semi-erect but nowhere near my full potential.not even enough to penetrate before flacidity. it seems like i have no feeling at my tip ,manual only slightly works.is this a mind thing or a nerve thing or what-,i had a catherter could this be the problem or i,m just not waiting long enough post op. help me.
  • Its encouraging to read these posts, as I have a feeling I am headed in the same direction. I've been doing pt and have had 1 ESI. So far neither has helped, in fact the pt makes it worse. I go back to my ns on Friday, and I am expecting him to schedule me for a discogram. I wish everyone good luck in their recovery.
  • hi, i see you are on line. not to intrude but this is really gettin on my nerves.normally a pretty studly fella. havin trouble gettin him up. have you ever heard of this retrograde ejaculation and will it go away by itself with time . do the ladies have the same problem.truth fully just had a tryst with the almost sleeping wife with the aid of those infernal rings that you slide on your member,and just at dinner time my stomach area(bladder i think) started getting uncomfortable and i backed off. is this what (re) feels like. sure would like to hear it from someone else
  • I have one scheduled for the 15th of September.
  • I had fussion surgery in July of 06 and your symtums are real simmulaer to mine havn,t found any thing to help but I feal for you
  • hey
    just had op (L5 s1) 19/12/08 on my lower back disc3 the surgeon says it went very well, the pain afterwards was unbearable (thank god 4 morphene on a drip god bless it) i seem 2 be getting a lot of pain from my left buttock then it goes down my leg 2 my toes,i have just had my staples out so i guess now im on the road 2 recovery, if anyone has any advice plz contact. steve
advertisement