Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone know the approx recovery time for fusion with metal work L4/5?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi

I am due to have some fusion surgery with metal work to support an unstable spine.

I have 3 months left of sick leave on full pay and I am just wondering what to expect.

Had surgey in April (Laminectomy) and was back at work after 11 weeks. Will this take longer?

Thanks to all for any advice! :)))
advertisement

Comments

• It would all depend on what type of job you have, whether it is a physical job or not and how well your back fuses. I know I am two months post-op and I wouldnt be able to work at this point. I'm still on no BLT restrictions. Hard to tell as everyone is different.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Have a chat to your employer about possibly going back on restricted duties if necessary. And about going back part time for the first few weeks.
    Yes it does depend on the type of work you do but remember that it will be a while befroe you can sit for long periods.

Having said that I have spoken to some people that had 2 levels done and they were back at work withing 2 months.

Blessings Sara
  • I just had my 3 week post op appointment and my NS is still saying at least 3 months before I can go back to being a librarian. Mild job, I know, but there is a lot of lifting and twisting still.
  • That's just to recover from the actual surgery. He said I wouldn't have many restrictions afterwards, but I have to be realistic, there are very few fusion patients who are ok after only 12 weeks! I agree with Sara, speak to your employer about maybe going back part time or on restricted duties.

I guess I'm luck in a way that I lost my job recently because I don't have to rush my recovery now. I can make sure I'm absolutely up to it before I find a new job.
advertisement