Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

YOGA

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Alternative Treatments
YOGA

there were many posts regarding yoga to cure back pain in the previous website.

i would like to share my experience with yoga postures. i have a herniated disc between l5-s1 and was recommended surgery by 2 doctors. i spoke to 10-12 people with herniated disc problems and all of them suggested that do not go for surgery if you can tolerate the pain and it is not affecting your day to day life much. so i didn't go back to meet my neurosurgeon again. recently i started doing yoga and it really helped me. just after 3 sessions, my weak leg muscles are getting stronger and i can stand on my weak foot for a longer period than i was able to do that before. i was not able to stand on one leg's toes at all but now i can lift it for a second without holding anything. i am not trying to tell anyone that this is the only treatment for herniated disc but it is worth trying if you do not have pain and time to experiment.
advertisement

Comments

• chocolate- I have seen TV shows about Yoga for back care. I have not tried yoga but I may consider it. It is good news that it has worked for you... :))) jade
  • :) i am learning Yoga and find it helpful in many ways. the breathing techniques and meditation have helped me control my pain. the exercises, though i often have to tweak them, have helped me get some control over my body. i enjoy it so much and the benefits are tremendous! =D> Jenny :)
  • CHOCOLATE said:
    YOGA

i would like to share my experience with yoga postures. i have a herniated disc between l5-s1 and was recommended surgery by 2 doctors. i spoke to 10-12 people with herniated disc problems and all of them suggested that do not go for surgery if you can tolerate the pain and it is not affecting your day to day life much. so i didn't go back to meet my neurosurgeon again. recently i started doing yoga and it really helped me. just after 3 sessions, my weak leg muscles are getting stronger and i can stand on my weak foot for a longer period than i was able to do that before. i was not able to stand on one leg's toes at all but now i can lift it for a second without holding anything. i am not trying to tell anyone that this is the only treatment for herniated disc but it is worth trying if you do not have pain and time to experiment.
    Hi , I have read your post. and I tell you one thing yoga is the best excerise for our health. And its good for your health and Waist.I gives you surety, your waist will be quickly fine. I have complete my yoga teacher training course. so I know about this problems. yoga is the best Method to solve this problems.
    Thanks.

EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member haglandc
  • CHOCOLATE said:
    YOGA

Hi , I have read your post. and I tell you one thing yoga is the best excerise for our health. And its good for your health and Waist.I gives you surety, your waist will be quickly fine. I have complete my yoga teacher training course. so I know about this problems. yoga is the best Method to solve this problems.
    Thanks.

EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member haglandc
  • I am doing yoga for 2 months; It relax and control stress, tense muscles.

It´s good.
  • Yoga is the part of my routine. I am aware of the benefits of yoga and therefore, in early morning yoga is my first task to do daily. I am fit and healthy. Yoga not only makes you healthy but also help you to fight with the diseases and generate the energy in the body.
  • Yoga has been a constant in my life since surgery. It helped me regain range of motion in my neck, strength in my core, balance and coordination. I never did anything like it before my neck injury and I swear by it now.

However, just like any other exercise you still need to be aware of your body and your limitations. I tried a hot yoga class and although I enjoyed it because it allowed me to stretch my muscles more, I realized it may not be right for me. If you stretch your muscles beyond "normal" for you, you may be compromising your nerves. You can't stretch your nerves. Some prickly feelings in the tips of two toes told me that I need to be more careful if I choose to join a hot yoga class.

If you do a yoga class be sure to inform the instructor of your issues. If he/she dismisses them as unimportant, go find another instructor.
  • I love doing Yoga, and have been doing it for over 20 years. I did have an episode though that I wanted to share.

I had just discovered Ashtange (Power) yoga and was amazed by the beauty of the movement. So I joined in enthusiastically but after a few months started getting low back pains.

What I'd been doing wasn't very clever, a forward bend, sitting down, with a curved back. I was holding on to my feet and pulling as hard as I could, without any awareness of my back.

It didn't take that long before I has serious disc trouble.

Many years later, and hopefully a bit wiser, I now enjoy healthy yoga. Both hot (Bikram) and Ashtanga are very powerful forms of yoga where its really important that YOU are aware of your own body and its limitations.

Yoga isn't meant to be competitive.

Regular Yoga now gives me a stronger, more flexible back than I've ever had.
advertisement