Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Clothes Hurt

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Chronic Pain
I have noticed lately that sometimes during the day even the clothes touching my back causes pain. Havn't been able to describe it untill last night and it is my shirt touching my back. Weird.
advertisement

Comments

• suziee- I have pain sometimes if my waistband is tight around the low back, especially at night. I have to wear PJs that don't touch that area alot... I) jade
  • Thanks Jade

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. I am in so much pain, my right arm and leg are numb and tingling and my doctor won't do a damned thing about it untill I get off the valium. I am down to 10mgs now and it is the only thing I have that gives me some relief. I hurt so bad this morning I was throwing up or dry heaves would be a better description.

My husband see's my pain but is blindly following my doctor who happens to be a good friend of my husbands. He told me this morning that the valium was first and formost above my pain. Gawd I have been dealing with this for 8 months. The doctor thinks that I need to gain wieght so I can build up muscle in my back for support and that lack of back muscle is causeing my pain. How the hell am I supposed to build up muscle when I can't walk 25 yards without crying.

He won't even let me start physical therapy untill I am completly off of the valium. I feel like he is on some sort of power trip and is punishing me for taking valium and not telling him. He was only allowing 1-2 500/5 hydro's a day so I was taking the valium because it helped with the spasms.

Sorry for the rant.. Very frustrated.
  • I know what you mean by clothes hurting, my style has changed a lot since I got hurt. And heels...remember those?

Has your Dr sent you for any tests to find out what is causing the pain? I don't understand why he won't let you start PT until your off the valium. I can't see how one would affect the other.

Good luck!
  • Hi Suzie! I'm wondering if your feeling nerve damage here. I have nerve damage along with my larger problems and it affects my life in many ways. Also, my husband id diabetic and has nerve damage in his feet. I can't remember the name. But it even hurts him when the fluffy soft cat will walk by and bruch against his feet. I keep thinking, my gosh, how can that hurt? She is sooo soft and I love the way she feels? But it's because of nerve damage and also because of that icky weird feeling that we all seem to have where your skin feels numb but not at the same time. And even though it has that weird numb feeling, there is tsill that deep pain underneath. Does this sound familiar anyone? Because my nerve damage runs from my left butt all the way down my thigh and into my foot, it actually hurts to have to go pee! That's an imbarrassing thing to tell. But it's true! And yes, I think you are being picked on because of the valium. Whenever a doctor hears that word, Kaboom! It sends them into a freakin frenzy! Theres no telling how many of them take it themselves. They are good muscle relaxers though. But I too don't see why you can't start your PT in the meantime, that is really odd. Have you discussed getting any muscle relaxers instead of the valium? They work very well and are not addictive. I don't care for Soma, I prefer flexiril. Good luck!
  • Suziee, Is there any way that you can see a different doc for another opinion?
  • I'm thinking maybe its nerve damage. And Jewels it does feel numb but painful at the same time. Would the MRI picked up nerve damage?

I have not a clue why he wants me off of valium before I start physical therapy. The only reason I am taking it now is it gives me some relief from the pain even if for a short time.

I am so sick of having everyone else in control of my health I could just freakin scream. It's like my Doctor is on some power trip or something.

If physical therapy doesn't help then I will get a second opinion. I'm also thinking that I will be able to talk to the physical therapist and maybe they will have some idea's on what is causing this. I swear I just don't have the energy to go to another Doctor and go through all this crap again. Especially since I feel like I have now been labeled a drug addict.

• i have had nerve damage in rt lag for 8 years after my first fusion on the l4-5.
    to this day it bothers me and i have a note from dr saying i need to wear shorts to work. if need to ask dr for note
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • suzie- I am unclear why your dr refuses to send you for PT or even a PM dr to evaluate your pain. Did your dr prescribe the valium and the pain med or was it another dr?

I would consider getting another dr to evaluate you and diagnose you. Maybe add a PM dr to see what he says.

Telling you to gain weight 1st is unrealistic as it may not help and it will take time. I guess I still don't get why he will not allow PT unless off valium? The pain med you are on may not be the correct dose or even the best one for you, or you may need a few different kinds of meds??

Has the dr ever discussed steroid injections?
    I would get a 2nd opinion before PT if the dr will not prescribe it. You are in a catch-22... :S jade
  • Jade,

I was taking the valium without his knowlege. I got it by other means to help me cope with a sucide that happened in our home last summer. I was only taking it when needed for stress, max 10 mg. I couldn't get anyone to help me so I helped myself

When the my Doctor prescribed me hydrocodone 500/5 he only wanted me taking max 2 a day, well that wasn't enough to cut through the pain and he wouldn't budge on the amount so I discovered that valium helped with the pain so I was taking it as well to help with the pain. When the Doc found out he took me off of the hydrocodone and said no more narcocatics for you and get off the valium and then we will see what we have.

Well now I am sort of pissed off. I am taking .5mg in the morning and .5 at night. They relax my muscles temporarily.

When I saw him last week I asked him when I could start PT and he said when I was completly off of the valium. Well now I don't want to get off of the valium. I don't like him bossing me around and withholding treatment from me.

I freakin don't know what to do now. How on earth can he withhold treatment from me. Oh, and I have put on weight but at my age you know were it went, straight to my gut. I'm 48. I am 5'4 119 lbs as of today, up from 112 lbs.

I want to be able to get some exercise so that I can turn this fat around my middle in to muscle and how am I supposed to do that when I can't do anything.

I'm not asking for a quick fix but damn it lets get this show on the road.
  • Get another doctor....
  • That seems to be the theme. Get another Doctor.
  • Hi Suzie, like everyone said.....get another doctor.
    In terms of clothing, I too feel pain from my clothes. I war loose cotton most of the time yet it can still irritate, even the soft material from PJ's. In a way I am glad to hear others feel the same...it's nice to be part of a group rather being the weird one :))( .
    I do hope you can find a doctor who will work with rather than against you.
  • Hello,

Guys This hasn't crossed my mind for ages but i am pleased i found thread.

I used to have terrible problems with my neck (but since my first op 18 mths ago, touch wood, Nothing) but
    even my hair in a pony tail drove me insane. Halter necks , shoulder bags even belts...madness and insane pain.

I never really understood what it was, irritation i guess from my lumbar problems just pivoted up spine. I am an unstable spondy case.

Watch your shoes too - they rotate your spine and make a difference.
  • Hi Suzie! I now understand why the doc took you off of the narcotic pain meds. It's because you started the valium on your own. This is a huge red flag to a doctor and will give them the idea that you are in fact an addict or at least susceptible to it. Now I'm not calling you an addict, I just know why the doc is thinking this way. It's just how it is. What you really needed to do was to get a prescription for panic attacks from your Primary Care or your Pm doc in the first place. That would have been just fine and they wouldn't have made you go off of that. I personally am on Klonipin, docs don't have the same fears about prescribing that as they do about valium. Docs refuse to prescribe valium to anyone for anything anymore. I don't even know why it's still manufactured since it's never used! Believe me, I know where you are coming from about having to deal with what you did and the need for valium. My stepson, my husbands beautiful 20 year old son, was killed in a car accident some years back. I called my mom ASAP and told her to bring some valium because I was getting sick and passing out. It was in the middle of the night in Feb. and I had to lay on the front porch with just a t-shirt & shorts on to try and keep me from passing out again. The valium is the only thing that got me through the first two weeks after that. I also had to get a prescription for it when my father passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly from a heart attack when he was only 47 years old. But times, they have a changed! Besides that red flag warning to your doc, you also have to worry about mixing valium with narcotics because they are both respitory suppressants. That can be a very deadly combo. Can I give you some advice here? By taking a firm stand on this with your doc, you're doing yourself an injustice. That is also considered another red flag. You need to stop taking the valium and get a prescription for Flexiril instead. Believe me, they relax the muscles way better than valium ever could. As I mentioned, I take them. Also, you need to find a new PM and develop a new relationship, one that will be healthy and good for both of you. Believe me, I have a very bad PM and am going to have to find a new one because our relationship is toxic. He's just plain cruel and a complete pompous ass! A to whether an MRI will pick up on the nerve damage, I don't know because I don't know what is causing it in the first place. I'll ask my hubby what kind of tests that he had done. He goes to a nuerologist for this. Med's like Lyrica help with this condition. There are others but I don't remember the name right now. I'll look into that also. I seriously suggest that you see a Nuerologist for this, they have more experience. As to the idea that someone else controls your life, I'm right there with you Babe! My doctor has complete control over mine all the way up to refusing to write my new prescription for me a measly 2 days earleir than when I would be completely out, he make me wait until I'm out before I can get a refill. Because of his refusal of this last year, I had to miss the opportunity to spend the last 2 weeks with my husband while he was working away from home, he had already been gone for 3 months and we wanted for me to go to him and we were going to take our time driving down the coast on the way back home and have a little vacation on the way. I never got to go. I cried for a week after that! We haven't had a vacation in years and I missed my hubby terribly. Control, control, control! I hate this man! How cruel was that for him to do? My previous PM always gave me my refills 2 days early in the first place. I could tell you stories but there isn't enough time. I better go but I'll check back with you. If you want to, feel free to send me a pm anytime. Take care and best of luck, Jewels
  • Those are called Nerve Conduction Studies (NCS) and EMG (i forgot what it stood for - electro myelo gram maybe? I used to know it). My memory is not what it used to be. But I am sure those are the tests. The EMG is where they stick the teeny tiny needles into the nerves to check to see how well they are working. When I had one done on my right leg a few years ago, the technician administering the test kept looking up at me to see if I'd react, but I never felt them. Severe and irreversible nerve damage from a herniated disc pinching the nerve and waiting too long to have my surgery.....

Good Luck Suziee. I hope you can get the treatment you deserve. Soon!

Jeaux
    :B
  • I also waited to long to find out what was wrong when I had a herniated disk. Because of that I have permanent severe nerve damage from my butt all the way down my left side. I also have it a few other places as well. Yes, I had that needle test and didn't feel it either! Suzie needs to be tested and to have probably a MRI to see what is going on in there.

Suzie, I hope that you do this soon. At least my clothes don't hurt me. Good luck!
  • suzie- I agree with others who think that another dr may be needed. I would see a PM dr if possible as it sounds like your dr is a PCP and a family friend. I don't think he needs to punish you for a mistake. It does not even seem logical for him to say he will withdraw you from all meds and then add meds back? Did I understand it right?

I don't think your body should be an experiment by a dr even if it a friend of your spouse. You need to be treated properly as well as having all necessary testing... :))) jade
  • No he will not add meds back to me. He told me he was going to take me off of the hydrocodone anyway. He said I had been on it long enough and it was time to look at some other avenues. I do start physical therapy next week so we will see how that goes.

I have had an MRI and it showed a slight bulging disc at t4/t5 and t6/t7 but nothing that should cause me any pain. I was really hoping they would find a smoking gun so I could at least get some injections. But I guess that can't really give you injections if they don't know where to put it.

Jewells,
    Yes, that was my bad for taking the valium but I couldn't get my doctor to give me anything for my anxiety, he said what I was going through was normal and I would get over it. Okay, our freinds son commits sucide in our home and I'm supposed to just suck it up. Shit, we had to sell the house and move. I loose two of my presious pugs 1 month after that. Its okay, your not crazy, its okay to feel the way you do. Screw that... I was not okay!!!!!!!!No one would help me.

Sorry went on a rampage.
  • Shoot, maybe all that pain that I was feeling inside turned to pain in my back. Ya never know.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.