Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello From AZ

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, :H

I thought I'd take a moment to re-introduce myself. I was a former member but couldn't remember my profile, therefore, I had to resubmit. I believe it was paininthebutt, if any of you remember, but it didn't work. I wonder if profiles expire after a certain amount of time not in use? Oh well. No biggy, I just liked that profile - thought it was kinda funny.

My name is Kristi. I'm married to the world's most understanding, most wonderful :X husband, I have 2 daughters, 25 & 19, I don't work, (curretnly fighting SS) I live in AZ and pretty much have no quality of life. Luckily I have a dog that keeps me company during the days. She's the best, my Nellie.

I've been suffering with severe back pain over the past 5+ years :''( I'm now am the point where having surgery is becoming more of a reality for me. I've avoided surgery mostly due to to statistics originally given to me by my first NS of which he stated, 50% same, 25% better, 25% worse. To me, those were not good enough odds. Now that I have moved to AZ and with the NS I am now seeing and with the confidence he has showed me, along w/ his track record, I feel more comfortable and more at ease that he can help me to regain some quality of life.

My problems. BACK: L1-L2 DDD; L2-L5 facet joint disease, FJD; herniated disc at L4-L5; Severe DDD and endplate degeneration at L5-S1 and a lateral herniated disc w/ encroachment on the right nerve root in the nerve exit canal. And, Grade II spondylolisthesis at L5-S1. I have sciatica in both legs, hip pain, most likely caused by nerve damage. NECK: 2mm broad-based disc bulging present at the C5 disc space level. FJD. with this I get numb hands, arms and a lot of pain in my shoulder.

Another lil' tid bit...prior to moving to AZ, I weighed 130 lbs. I'm 5'2". At the time of our move I was put on Cymbalta. Well, over time, I blew up like a balloon. I now weigh a whopping 190 :jawdrop: I've heard that Cymbalta can cause weight loss, but it can also cause weight gain in some people. (Google, Cymbalta and weight gain, this is where I found my information and it's because I needed answeres to why I was gaining so much weight) I have been patite my whole life. Now I'm hugh and very uncomfortable and honestly, embarrassed to go out. I hate looking at myself and I think it's time to talk to my dr's about getting off this medication. But, yes there's a but... I'm scard to death to get off this med because of the extreme w/drawl symptoms I've read people go through. I myself went through temporary w/drawls because I ran out for 2 days. Just 2 days gave me a sneak peak at what to expect and I know it won't be fun.

Anyway, I'm back to the message board because I have questions and will be posting in the "Pain" forum, and possibly the Surgery" forum. Thank you for taking the time to read this extensive introduction. I)

Sincerely, a spiney friend with a pain in the butt. =>
-Kristi
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome back,

As far as the withdrawl from Cymbalta. As long as it is done gradually on a smart titration schedule, you should be able to avoid whithdrawl symptoms.

Talk to your doc about it. Talk to your doc about the weight gain too. The weight is probably complicating your pain.

It's important to be able to look at yourself in the mirror and not hate what you see.

"C"
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. we have a weight loss group here on the forum! if you are interested pm me and i will give you the details. we have several women taking Cymbalta and facing the same problems you are talking about. come join us! Jenny :)
  • the women that Jenny speaks of that is on Cymbalta and gaining weight! I have only been on it a few months and it really is helping me but I am getting bigger by the day! I talked to my doc about coming off of it and he said that as long as it is a gradual process the withdrawal will be mild. You really are not supposed to abruptly stop any meds if you can help it. I too am one of those people holding off on fusion because the odds are just not worth the risk to me. Glad to have you here and look forward to seeing you around the forum.
  • Welcome back. I am on Cymbalta too. I never really noticed any real weight gain but I was overweight to start with. I found I gained alot of weight while on steriods.I'm now in a weight loss group on here with lulusheart and painintheback. You should come join us :)

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • I found the same 60 lbs. I am 5'9" and weighed about 135lbs my whole adult life. I started putting on weight about 5 years ago due to inactivity and lots of spinal steroid injections.

I have worked hard with weight watchers to get 35 of it off this year. It is hard on the self esteem even when hubby says he like big women!! Am still determined to get the last 25 off just to be able to enjoy buying clothes again.
    I go to WW meetings on Thursday nites but would love to join here also. They start on Sundays, wanna jump in there with me?

I was on Cymbalta for the past few months. Just got off but had to go to 20mg vs. 40mg for seven days. I had not heard about the weight gain. I could not figure out why my weight seemed to be jumping rapidly. I quit smoking but was doing the treadmill several times a day and really watching it. Had not considered the Cymbalta. I also started on weekly B12 shots which is supposed to help you metabolize better. Hmm... could have been the Cymbalta. I am 7 lbs lighter in the past 2 weeks and not really trying.
  • ... for the warm welcome.

And thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding Cymbalta. Ewaight, I quit smoking shortly after starting Cymbalta. And at first I thought my weight gain was because of that. Even though I had quit several times prior and put on a few lbs., it was never like this. Yes, the weight gain 'was' rapid. Somewhere in the area of 5 lbs. per week. So what next? I've tried Neurontin (all for nerve pain from Sciatica, due to the probs. in my back) and a couple of others, and unfortunately, Cymbalta seems to work the best. No side effects to report other than the weight gain. Others, like Lyrica was not for me - eys couldn't take it. :) So, I'll be getting w/ my PM to discuss other possible options for me.

Again thanks for your thoughts and experiences. I knew I was not alone.

-Kristi

• =; Yes Babe, Talk to the hand! LOL! I wish my only problem was having to lose weight! What happened to me instead was during my last surgery they not only had to reopen my back again, but first they had to go through my stomach to remove the hardware that had been put in. I was cut from my belly button all the way down to my pubic area. I have a huge scar there. But worse than anything, within 2 months of my surgery I started to look like I was 4 months pregnant! I have lost my waistline and now have a tummy. I had always had a liitle waistline and no tummy, even when I did start to put on the normal in your 30's weight gain. I can't get this particular weight off no matter what! It seems like it doesn't make any difference if I lose weight or not, my tummy never gets any smaller. I hate this so bad and it has taken quite a toll on my self esteem. I had always heard that once your stomach muscles have been cut that you will never be the same again, but I didn't believe it. I believe it now! It's so hard for me to shop for clothes because nothing fits. If it fits everywhere else, it's too tight across my tummy. I've decided to start having blouses custom tailered to fit because I hate the way I have to dress all of the time. Otherwise, I always buy blouses that have an empire waist just to try and hide it. I really do sympathise with you and your weight problems, it's so hard to get off when it's too hard to excercise. For me it's a catch 22. I need to lose weight to help alleviate the pressure on my back and my knees, but at the same time, my back and knees hurt so bad that I can't excercise. What do you do? Plus, since I can never get any restoritive sleep, that is also supposed to help put the weight on. And let's not forget about stress! Oh, and let's also add severe Edema on top of that! My ankles are so swolen that I refuse to wear anything that will let them show. Boy can I sympathise with you! I wish you the best in losing weight, if I can't do it then I would at least love to see someone else who does. More power to you! :H
  • How come men can have tummy's and it's no big deal but when we put on weight we beat ourselves up over it? Not fair! Maybe we need to learn to be kinder to ourselves. What do you think? :?
advertisement